.. she is breathing hard VIDEO added.. she died last night.

I agree about it not looking like pox...
Also that separating her to a tempstable clean dry quiet area away from the others is the best thing for her at this point until she shows more symptoms. If it is something she ate or drank in the field while ranging (any areas of water/puddles around she may have gotten into ?)
I think she should have electrolytes in her watereas dehydration can occur very quicky when a bird is like this (you cannot combine electrolytes and aCV) ...you may have to driblle some along her beak at regular intervals to keep her from getting dehydrated.
Monitor her for further symptoms.
What has the weather been like there? Any damp in the bedding/coop?

the weather has gone from fall to cold.. it has not rained in quite some time not even much frost on the ground in the mornings.. you use the term "field" it is more of a back yard.. we are suburban/county. I feel terrible I feel like I need to be doing something... She doesnt stop gasping for air to move/eat/drink I slip a little water down her when she opens wide I have given her a tsp over the last 2 hours or so.. I look down her throat when she opens and there doesnt seem to be anything..

right now she is in a rubbermaid tote in the laundry room with a heating pad covered with a pillowcase then covered with a plastic bag under her.

such a bummer.. today was the best day ever for eggs.. we got 10 eggs today the most ever

Last edited:
Looks like she has a restricted airway to me. Feel her craw and see if there is anything there. Use a flashlight and see if you can see anything down her throat by holding her bottom bill and stretching her neck a little.Pour a little vegetable oil down her throat (don't drown her)and set her down. maybe 4 or 5 CCs. If she tries to sling her head, let her. She may throw whatever is in her airway out. Massage her craw each time just a little.If the vegetable oil seems to be doing some good, then give her some more. Just feed bread soaked in milk for a couple days. You may have to push it in her mouth (just 2 or three pieces unless she wants more). I had a rooster doing the same thing your hen is and this worked. I did this in desperation because I knew he was choking slowly except I POURED Crisco oil down his throat! If her head is turning darker then she has an obstructed airway. It is NOT Avian Flu or she would have mucus coming from her nose and her breath would smell HORRIBLE! Hope this helps.

probably a "wart" from the pox is swelling up her breathing passages (not uncommon with WET avian pox). Is she breathing through her mouth? Most like a result of pox, watch it close. Freebird just recovered from it, but it was a winding road. I applied neosporin to the "warts" on her comb, and they reduced to 1/4 the size in 12 hours.

why didnt I try the oil...

I let her be last night checking on her one time. Then at 3:01 (I looked at the clock) I heard this flopping noise.. I thought to myself .. maybe she is trying to jump out of the box..

no.. she flopped dead..
hit.gif
hit.gif

I wish I could have done more.
hmm.png

now I need more chickens.

I am so sorry that she didn't make it.
sad.png

If you can bring yourself to do it, it would be good to do a necropsy on her. I once had a silkie with similar symptoms. I found that he had a bunch of straw in his crop in a ball. He gasped as well for a couple days before he died. I would not have known unless I did the necropsy.

You will get a lot of education and information from a necropsy, they are a valuable source of information. Chicken ailments are so difficult to diagnose. So sorry you had to go through that, and for your loss..you know you must get a necropsy within twenty four hours of death if you do one. Whatever you do, you would be wise to watch the rest of your flock for strange behavior or symptoms. Chickens will conceal symptoms if you spend a lot of time staring at them, you have to be discreet to get the best idea.

Back
Top Bottom