She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, May 8, 2015.

1. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    I would love to help, but I am not a candling addict[​IMG]
    I may candle at lockdown, but rarely candle before then. It ruins the surprise[​IMG]

That is just stunning! And you can ride to those views? I think I'm going to bring my bike up there. Once we ride and you feed me, you may never get rid of me[​IMG]

2. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    He's too pretty to be a boy!! [​IMG]

The hen is the black one that hatched with my lavender orpingtons. It was time to breed black back into the flock where I got the eggs, so I got one with the recessive gene. From what I've read, she will still produce lavenders, as long as she is bred by a lavender. So does that make her a black lavender orpington? HIIK (come to think of it, I better go read all that again...)

3. scflock

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    Too pretty to be a boy... If I had a nickel [​IMG]

I'm going to be learning the black/blue/splash genetics myself. I'm not sure how the lavender works, but I know that it takes 2 blues to give a chance of splash, and 2 blacks will breed true, so I'm assuming if you bred her with a lavender male you would get some of both. I plan on keeping a blue male of my ameraucanas to keep a wider variety of color. One of my splash is awfully lavender looking, so I can't wait to see what it looks like feathered out.
    I forgot you were the one with the Orpingtons. Those are some of my favorite birds. My favorite chicken I ever had, that would perch on my head, was a buff Orpington. Not going to get into what happened to her again [​IMG]
    That reminds me, you owe me a [​IMG] on Friday's behalf...

4. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    No, it's a rocky footpath up to those views (if you choose the scenic route). No bikes allowed offroads in the provincial parks, provincial reserves, or national forests. It was about a 5 mile hike round trip. But there are other views where you can ride along on the road at the top of the cliffs and overlook Georgian Bay, or Lake Huron on the other side, or ride practically right up to waterfalls. Michigan has some lovely riding scenery too, especially in the Upper Peninsula and along the Lake Michigan shoreline, and from our property up north we have direct access to over 1000 miles of marked and maintained state ORV trails.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  5. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Absolutely beautiful!!! I hope when my kids get older I can get to travel again. I did travel when I was younger but mostly beaches. I really would love to go west & north. And find a partner to go with! ;)
    Glad to hear he's doing better, or at least not getting worse! Keep an eye on him!
    Love the frizzle!!! He's awesome looking!! I love the hen too. Does she have like green shimmers in her coloring? I can't think of the word for it. Brain fog! My neighbor offered me a little black one that looks just like her because she lets the kids pick her up when we go over there. In the sun you can see really pretty colors in her feathers. But she has an eye infection and my hands are full right now. Don't know if I could take on a sick bird.

6. scflock

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    The closest ORV park to me is a 45 minute drive, and only about 35 miles of connected loops. It's a great harescramble type trail, but I can ride it all in a little over an hour

7. scflock

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    I'd love to head up north, too. Not where you and Queenie are [​IMG], but Montana, Wyoming, etc...
    My wife and I have been beach people all our lives, but vacation in the mountains. I want to head out west and see some real mountains.
    I believe that is a beetle green

8. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    We spent 10 days in the Rockies last year (in Colorado) with a side trip to Moab UT. Incredible scenery! This summer we were going to drive up to Banff, Alberta but instead are heading to South Texas for some fishing. No bikes for those trips...way too many miles in the saddle.

9. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Well, you learn it all, then dumb it down for me... [​IMG]

I missed some of that, but if its for Friday... [​IMG][​IMG] One from each of us.

She is beautiful black, with little white tips on 2 wing feathers. And yes, it only shimmers like that when the sun hits her just right. Greens and purples. I have a beautiful drake like that too.
    Maybe you can adopt that one when its eye gets better?

I liked the beach as a kid, but after seeing it last week, I can go another 40 years without it haha! But I'd go north and west with you to the mountains, for sure!

10. scflock

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    I don't like the beach for hanging out. If I took you out on a boat and put you on some redfish you would be hooked. Ask rossfam :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by