She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, May 8, 2015.

1. peecock

peecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2015
    Alabama
    A predator I found the head to one the wings to one i have lost 5 on separate nights and found pices to 5

2. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For the Birds!! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop

Coyotes in your area? They are more likely to take most of the bird away. Possums, skunks, raccoons just eat some and leave the rest behind.

3. NTBugtraq

NTBugtraq ex-Surgeon General

#1, I don't care if Amy doesn't want me posting here, I need help, and a lot of smart people have this thread subscribed.

I have a chick on Day 24. I had to take the cap of the egg, wait till the inner membrane reduced blood, then took that off. I have fed the chick water via a syringe, and it has seemed to be happy to drink it. But it has not come out of the rest of the shell. Its alive, and somewhat dry, breathing, and its beak is moving a lot, but its not trying to come out...its basic position has not changed since I first took the cap off. Tomorrow is Day 25...the egg was 6 days old when it went into the bator. What should I do? I want to clear the bator for another setting of 48...a good friend who has hatched a lot of chicks says it will die, eventually (iows, all this time I have given it to hatch is not going to matter). It is not a pet, and its not an expensive egg.

Cull tomorrow morning?

4. peecock

Jul 5, 2015
    Alabama
    We have all those but we have been hearing coyotes close by we are going to have a coyote shoot soon

5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    So sorry to hear that!

6. peecock

Jul 5, 2015
    Alabama
    It ok I was really looking forward to haveing guineas but I still have 4 hens they killed my only male

7. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For the Birds!! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop

My first thoughts would be malpositioned or leg issues, not allowing it to turn inside the egg, and it may not even have the ability to push itself out.

8. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    That's a tough one. At this point I'm guessing it is glued into the shell. If it were me, and admittedly I'm not as experienced as others, I'd slowly break up the shell and rinse/soak the poor thing in warm water and see if the shell pieces will come off. Dry it off with a blow dryer set on low. Then give it some "egg yolk soup" (hard boiled egg mixed in electrolyte water)..

Good luck.

9. NTBugtraq

NTBugtraq ex-Surgeon General

I did try an hour ago to remove a bit more of the shell...shell that had been below the inner membrane, and I saw blood...so I stopped.

10. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Oh.

I would still think about trying a bit every hour or so, you have already gone this far. Maybe taking tweezers and chipping the shell away from the membrane, watching for veins.

Even then, you still might end up culling for deformities. Tough situation to be in, I'm sorry.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by