She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

#1, I don't care if Amy doesn't want me posting here, I need help, and a lot of smart people have this thread subscribed.

I have a chick on Day 24. I had to take the cap of the egg, wait till the inner membrane reduced blood, then took that off. I have fed the chick water via a syringe, and it has seemed to be happy to drink it. But it has not come out of the rest of the shell. Its alive, and somewhat dry, breathing, and its beak is moving a lot, but its not trying to come out...its basic position has not changed since I first took the cap off. Tomorrow is Day 25...the egg was 6 days old when it went into the bator. What should I do? I want to clear the bator for another setting of 48...a good friend who has hatched a lot of chicks says it will die, eventually (iows, all this time I have given it to hatch is not going to matter). It is not a pet, and its not an expensive egg.

Cull tomorrow morning?

Can you post a pic? I'm waiting for others to respond. I don't have enough experience. But I would think since you're doing a full on assist from a non-pipped egg, it's not going to be able to get out on its own. Keep going little by little every 2 hrs. Stop when you see blood. I think that's the rules. Good luck.

#1, I don't care if Amy doesn't want me posting here, I need help, and a lot of smart people have this thread subscribed.

I have a chick on Day 24. I had to take the cap of the egg, wait till the inner membrane reduced blood, then took that off. I have fed the chick water via a syringe, and it has seemed to be happy to drink it. But it has not come out of the rest of the shell. Its alive, and somewhat dry, breathing, and its beak is moving a lot, but its not trying to come out...its basic position has not changed since I first took the cap off. Tomorrow is Day 25...the egg was 6 days old when it went into the bator. What should I do? I want to clear the bator for another setting of 48...a good friend who has hatched a lot of chicks says it will die, eventually (iows, all this time I have given it to hatch is not going to matter). It is not a pet, and its not an expensive egg.

Cull tomorrow morning?

They all die eventually. It doesn't have to be so close to hatch.

It is very possible that if the chick was not positioned well or is too large that it simply cannot execute the movements needed to hatch on its own. Since you've removed the cap already, it seems as if it could just push up, but I've had sticky chicks literally glued to the membrane which in turn locked them in place.

Since its chances are zero if left in the shell, take the better chance now or when you are ready. If the membrane looks whitish when dry and mostly clear when damp, with no prominent veining, peel the shell all the way back to the edge of the membrane. Enlarge the existing tear and work the head and wings out. If the chick does not begin the struggle, continue to deliver it, but you may find developmental defects. There is a good chance you will simply find an exhausted chick. I say go for it, worst that happens is what could have happened, and best is that you get a healthy chick and a clear incubator.

I've got a similar situation as NTBugtraq.
A friend had a brahma egg hatch today. The second one has been pipped all day. It's chirping. Humidity is at 62%. Only 2 of 9 eggs were fertile, so they're really hoping this second one will hatch. She used tweezers and peeled some of the membrane back barely. Any suggestions?

I did try an hour ago to remove a bit more of the shell...shell that had been below the inner membrane, and I saw blood...so I stopped.

How much blood did you see, and how bright red? It's not unusual to have a smear or two of blood left in the vessels in the membrane, but it's not bright and will leak only a drop or less.

The head is the best indicator of readiness. Are the eyes open? Head look fully developed and covered with down?

I've got a similar situation as NTBugtraq.
A friend had a brahma egg hatch today. The second one has been pipped all day. It's chirping. Humidity is at 62%. Only 2 of 9 eggs were fertile, so they're really hoping this second one will hatch. She used tweezers and peeled some of the membrane back barely. Any suggestions?

Helping out a chick that isn't ready to hatch will usually cause it to die. But failing to help a chick that can't hatch can also lead to its death, so follow the Assisted Hatching guide in the Learning Center to determine when the time is right. It's a fine line between too early and too late and without being there, it's hard to advise. Pipped "all day" isn't really a problem, but if it starts to zip and stops, or never starts to zip after 24 hours, beware.

Last edited:
Weather today, 95, sunny, humid with scattered showers.

Tasks today: parts run for the day's projects, change the thermostat gasket on my '69 Firebird convertible, fix the air compressor so I can grind on the tractor frame in prep for welding, jack and shim and strap the tractor frame so I can weld it, read an Instructables on how to MIG weld, sandblast the paint off the area to be repaired then clean off the debris, MIG weld the first fracture, then spend an hour grinding my incredibly ugly weld to clean it up a bit.

Tomorrow I will touch up the weld and clamp and bolt and weld a U-channel into place on the left side, then switch to the right side and start the process over again.

Weld spatter is hot. Leather boots, jeans and jacket in 95F is perhaps worse.

Looks like everyone was busy, not much posting going on.

Weather today, 95, sunny, humid with scattered showers.

Tasks today:  parts run for the day's projects, change the thermostat gasket on my '69 Firebird convertible, fix the air compressor so I can grind on the tractor frame in prep for welding, jack and shim and strap the tractor frame so I can weld it, read an Instructables on how to MIG weld, sandblast the paint off the area to be repaired then clean off the debris, MIG weld the first fracture, then spend an hour grinding my incredibly ugly weld to clean it up a bit.

Tomorrow I will touch up the weld and clamp and bolt and weld a U-channel into place on the left side, then switch to the right side and start the process over again.

Weld spatter is hot.  Leather boots, jeans and jacket in 95F is perhaps worse.

Looks like everyone was busy, not much posting going on.

:lau

Last edited:
I found that pic the other day while cleaning up my phone and thought it appropriate. :gig
I've tried it and its rough, but I tell you my hubby makes it look so easy! I said I can do that! I was wrong.

Back
Top Bottom