She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

108 heat index here
Can't believe you made me lose to a NY Yankee
smack.gif

sorry about that can't stay on line to much to do . you get the lumber if you did get your self to work

So I just had my first unauthorized episode of chicken math.  I have a broody that just wont break - even after cool baths, wire cage for 2 days, etc.  So I went to the local poultry swap and picked up 4 OE eggs (BCM x Blue Ameraucana).  Eggs are a very nice true blue.  Saw pictures of the parents and another pullet she had that was a product of the same parents.  Looked exactly like a black Ameraucana except for feathered legs.

Betty went broody last year and I was able to break her pretty easily.  This year she is much more determined to hatch that golf ball so I caved in and we'll see if she can hatch these eggs.  Am planning on following the blue method and maybe only candle them around day 10 to pull the quitters, but they have only been under her 30 minutes and I already want to check them!!

That's awesome!! I hope she makes it the whole 21 days!! Can't wait for updates!

I didn't know you guys were that close :gig
I just figured something out, though it may not be new. We are in the middle of a vicious heat wave, and there's not a lot more I can do for the chickens. I decided to take a garden hose and soak half of the ground in each pen. They love it! We have some serious group dust bathing going on :thumbsup

Last two days we had 70 degree weather. It was beautiful. Then this afternoon the heat and humidity came in with a vengeance. I just changed the chicken's water and added ice cubes. I was just thinking, "what else can I do for them?". I'm gonna soak half the run when I go back out. Thanks for the idea.

It worked it was a half a package My incubators are about the same thing as a L G only covered with thin plastic shell with auto turners and fans I have two farm innovators 4200  so to get it in I had to make a   shallow plastic pan that would fit under the mesh it works best in the container it came in suspended in air with a catch pan It only last one night and is a lot of trouble to get in and out. It's cheap so in a big cabinet might work well . It would add .50 cents a day to incubation cost, at a half package a day.   I lock down every Wednesday  but never have a full incubator going into lock down. I set every Saturday but never have a completely empty incubator so I always have 7 day eggs and 14 day eggs most are EEs and GLWs and a few Marans  .these  incubators have not been turned off since march 17 when the eggs are ready to hatch they go into my old bower the one in the pictures and hatch there. My wife complains a little but as long as I don't find a sign at the end of the drive way when I come home that reads CHICKENS FOR SALE VINTAGE HUSBAND AND ALL ECCESSORYS INCLUDED  I figure It's all good.

You're making me drool hearing about all that incubating!! I wish I always had a set or two going on...non-stop! That is the best!! Update when one hatches!! And it sounds like you have a good wife there!! :)

They are on my phone, which is currently charging. I am on the nexus 7 right now. Is is possible to post more than one photo at a time? I can't seem t figure it out on the phone. I will post them in a bit

I can't upload more then 2 pics at a time. You hit the little picture button and upload one. Then you hit it again to upload another. Anything over 2 and it won't let me. I'm on an old iPhone.

Hahaha!! I like that name!!!! We can stick with that.
Cute little fluffies running around like little snow balls. :)

You might be too young to remember, there are 2 gals that sing kinda folksy rock, called The Indigo Girls. Had a friend see them not long ago, so they still get around. Their music is different but I always liked them. Awesome acoustic harmonies, if you like that kind of thing.

We're getting hammered right now, too. I'll take rain any way I can get it this summer
So, where are the pics?

All my family left and the thunder and lightening rolled in!! Have not heard thunder like that in a long time. BOOM! Hoping my power stays on. One friend brought me a new bottle of turkey, so I'm good, even if the powers goes out lol

A NN would have to grow on me. That's a little too fancy for me...
Silas is my favorite. Fabio, the silkie, would be second. The BCM rooster is friendly and pretty, but greedy. He eats before the girls do. My booted bantam roo is good, and I have 2 EE roos that are good so far, but the 3 year old hens that have never seen a rooster before aren't to keen on them
gig.gif

I think I'm going to have several Ameraucana roos to choose from, so I'm trying to spend a lot of time with them as they grow. Hoping a blue is a keeper
LOL! We were raising them for meat and missed two when we sent them to be butchered. The two we missed happened to be a roo and a pullet, they were both very calm, nice birds. We had a flock of laying hens too but they wouldn't accept the hen so the had free run of the yard but was killed one night
hit.gif

Oh nice. Awesome

LOL! We were raising them for meat and missed two when we sent them to be butchered. The two we missed happened to be a roo and a pullet, they were both very calm, nice birds. We had a flock of laying hens too but they wouldn't accept the hen so the had free run of the yard but was killed one night :hit  

Oh nice. Awesome

What got ahold of them?
My son's dog got a mouth full of my big brahma's tail feathers today. Luckily we called him off, but now my roos have shyed away a bit. They have probably gotten too used to my dog anyway, so its probably good that they be a little more cautious of 4-legged animals.

Love all the chick pics, Amy! Kinda made me feel bad that I haven't taken any of mine! They all look healthy & beautiful. I loved the stories that went with some of them. Like the almost scalping! Put a cover on that thing!
wink.png

This sounds soooo good!!
Um, there's a drinking age in Mexico?...whoops!

Seriously, I'm a good mommy now but I seriously should have been 6 ft under x 12!!
I'm so glad the rescue went good. You've got me thinking of doing a rescue myself. I think I'm going to pick up the black chick today. I saw his eye last night and it's way worse. If I don't intervene he'll prob go blind in that eye if he survives.
Silkie eggs are super easy to candle! (And fun) I could see the little chick feet inside my eggs! So happy you're set is going good so far! When's hatch day?
Thanks. It does need a cover. Next year I want to get a different bator.

hu.gif
. good mourning all . I'm like 25 pages behind go figure .First thing I'm hatching this morning but what's new its Saturday and I hatch every Saturday . maybe this one will end up with some live ones. so far 2 EES and 1 SLW 4 more piped .Its amazing anything is hatching at all with this heat and humidity . I've tried the moisture remover it's gone over night . the charcoal is just for odor It has no value other than that . what draws the moisture is CALCIUM CHLOIDE THIS CAN BE VERY DANGROUS BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU USE THIS ,DO NOT LET ANY TOUCH YOUR SKIN OR ALLOW IT TO BE EATEN BY ANYTING. IF INGESTED IT WILL KILL ANY TISUSE IT COMES IN CONTACT WITH IN THE CRYSTAL FORM. this product lowered the humidity in my incubator 10% but only lasted overnight and I had to make a special tray to put it in and have decided its not worth the trouble. I don't think anything can over come this humidity until the summer heat leaves but I'm still thinking about how to do it . On a happier note my wife lost her job so she is here for day watch till she gets another
barnie.gif
not a bad thing just supposed to be my turn. Instead I'm loading the work calendar again. I love this thread. I get to see comedians pole dancers chefs pictures of places I can't go .The way I see it we have several America's got Talent contestant's . It reminds there is life out there. my life right now is nonstop work on the job and weekend work at home . love Tequila don't miss the headache but can't get the frosted bottle with the worm any more so what's the point. I've been trying to get good video of dark Marans on day 7and 14 the problem is they get lighter at the end of the cycle .and the hens don't listen when I say need darker eggs. I must get back to work hope to be able to relax some tis evening maybe I ramble more then.
frow.gif
Sorry about the wife loosing her job. But very glad to hear your "rambling" we'd miss you if you weren't here.

Well I've now candles the rest of the eggs. Not sure if all the silkie eggs are developing but a couple are clear enough to see the viens and some are too dark to see into. But at least there are no definite duds at this stage( although I don't think the broken ara egg has much chance) so I'm still looking likely to get 29 chicks on 31st or 1st
fl.gif

So I just had my first unauthorized episode of chicken math. I have a broody that just wont break - even after cool baths, wire cage for 2 days, etc. So I went to the local poultry swap and picked up 4 OE eggs (BCM x Blue Ameraucana). Eggs are a very nice true blue. Saw pictures of the parents and another pullet she had that was a product of the same parents. Looked exactly like a black Ameraucana except for feathered legs.

Betty went broody last year and I was able to break her pretty easily. This year she is much more determined to hatch that golf ball so I caved in and we'll see if she can hatch these eggs. Am planning on following the blue method and maybe only candle them around day 10 to pull the quitters, but they have only been under her 30 minutes and I already want to check them!!
gig.gif

I'm feeling a little scared, but oh what a way to go
gig.gif
lau.gif

yes I know the who Hacksaw Jim Duggan is and the hulk he's the green one right. I was looking at the picture thinking that's uh uh uh oh heck that's uh then saw Amy already had it but she knew when the Benny Hill first aired and wasn't even born yet. we're going to get Amy on a quiz show. Amy is so quick One thing I noticed when I first joined byc was every thread I checked out AMY had already been there .the other thing I noticed was she's not dumb. Hatch update I'm up to 7 and the weather is great 97 degrees 75% humidity heat index 105 And I love it. and if you believe that I have bridge interest I would like to sell it's just a little thing in New York good fishing just have to watch out for the taxi cabs .
hugs.gif
These days I have enough trouble just keeping up with our thread...lol

108 heat index here
Can't believe you made me lose to a NY Yankee
smack.gif
tongue2.gif

You might be too young to remember, there are 2 gals that sing kinda folksy rock, called The Indigo Girls. Had a friend see them not long ago, so they still get around. Their music is different but I always liked them. Awesome acoustic harmonies, if you like that kind of thing.
All my family left and the thunder and lightening rolled in!! Have not heard thunder like that in a long time. BOOM! Hoping my power stays on. One friend brought me a new bottle of turkey, so I'm good, even if the powers goes out lol
Apparently I am too, cause all it makes me think of is "Indigo children" lol

@gachooks I can't quote you cause you asked in an ovation about Willie. Thanks, I thinks he's quite nice looking, but I have absolutely no clue what his mix is. He washatched from my sister's barnyard mix eggs. I've seen some cream legbar roos that he resembles, but
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom