She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, May 8, 2015.

1. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    Sorry that it didn't make it. I've become quite experienced at assisted hatching thanks to my crossbred turkeys, but even so I lose some with too early or too late an assist, or with moisture control.

I used to advocate using a moist paper towel around the shell to help retain moisture but I found that in a forced air incubator, this causes a chilling effect that can also kill the chick. I do think the inner membrane may have dried a bit overmuch after the shell was breached, and for that, so long as there is an internal pip, I use a petroleum based antibiotic ointment and swab it on the membrane. It will preserve the existing moisture nicely.

I don't know why that chick had such prominent blood vessels at that time and stage. I am sorry for the loss of the chick but as you said, you do gain new insight and perhaps the next time you have a challenged one you'll have a better outcome.

2. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    What happened to the eggs? They look like they stopped developing or you can't see movement??

3. rossfam06

rossfam06 Beak Brokers

Sep 20, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    My Coop

All the veining gone and no more movement noticed. I think....its from my manual turning....is there a certain way you turn the eggs?

4. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop

How has your temp and humidity been? :hugs

5. RubyNala97

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I just had one like that except is was a peafowl egg. Please update, I'm curious to see if it makes progress on its own. I waited 24 hours then assisted.

I liked this story! I saw the whole thing in my head. Good to know a way to get a predator!

Yes!!! I've noticed this. The paper towel gets freezing cold almost instantly and then makes the humidity in the incubator skyrocket to 100%. I was not a fan of the paper towel last time!

What color are the eggs? I'm thinking there's a red ring in there that may be hard to see. I hand turn all my eggs (no auto turner) x & o, just twist from one side to the other.

6. chicapee

chicapee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2015
    Pass Christian, MS
    Oh dear, that is a shame. But as you say it was also a valuable learning experience. Best of luck with the babies that made it.

7. chicapee

chicapee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2015
    Pass Christian, MS
    woke up this morning to the same scenario, baby is still peeping, but stronger. I am using the 2nd pip that is in the the correct place in the air cell that pipped at approximately the same time as a Guage from pip to zip. She is still moving around and peeping. Humidity is 71%. Must be completing last minute absorb tin preparations. Day 21 doesn't start until 530pm. And mine usually hatch exactly on day 21.

8. RubyNala97

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    This came up on another thread and I thought I would ask here since I greatly respect the opinions around here. Do you routinely "worm" your chickens? Why or why not? :)

9. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    Ruby: thanks! But, I was not the one doing the shooting, FYI. :oops:

10. RubyNala97

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    As long as it can get oxygen, that's a great idea to follow the other correct pip!! I actually waited longer then 24 hrs. Because I don't know exactly when the pip happened, I woke up to it. So it was about 26 hrs from when I noticed it. I started by making an artificial zip line. My chick could not push out at all. So I ended up taking half the egg off and letting him rest. Then just sliding him out of the egg. His umbilical cord was stuck to the shell. After a couple hours, I just cut it. Good luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by