She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Well remember, that was my first thought, salty water or salt slurry, but then I realized that wouldn't leave much space to draw much more of the humidity. I think rice would draw it, like it does when you cook it, and you turn the burner off, and it continues to fluff up, but I wonder if dry rice would draw it fast enough to help anything. Actually, partially cooked rice might draw faster.. Oh goodness, something else to test lol
Originally I was thinking in the water, but that would just dissolve, but if the salt was made into a slurry in the same fashion as in the hygrometer test (on a slightly bigger scale) it should have the same effect as the test, just on a bigger scale.

I'm sorry, guys, but I have to set my eggs tomorrow.

The challenge:
18 assorted bantam chickens, with three eggs randomly selected (the last in each row in an 18 egg carton), ID tagged, weighed and air cell marked.
12 ISA Brown eggs, with 3 eggs randomly selected (every fourth egg in a 12 egg carton), ID tagged, weighed and air cell marked.
16 Narragansett and Narr x BBB eggs, one at 152g and one at 104g
21 Easter egger (mostly olive) collected dating back to 4/20 so the oldest will be 24 days old when set. These have been in a turner since collected, stored at cool room temperature.
I bought a Brinsea spot check today and will set the incubator for 99.5 internal egg temp. I am just about done calibrating the redwood Leahy. That is an incredibly stable incubator!

I still have lots of tray space and am fighting not to just go out and buy eggs to fill it up.

I added to my challenge. My DH brought in a Narragansett egg that our dear, dumb BBB hen tried to brood. She squashed it. I was going to peel the broken shell off and try to incubate in in the membrane in a thing called an Eggy (used for hard boiling eggs not in the shell, which is great as we keep all the broken eggs for ourselves). Anyhow, the membrane had a small tear in it too, so I slipped the contents of the egg into the Eggy and put it in the incubator.

I don't expect it to last more than a few days before bacteria wins the battle, but it will be interesting to see the early stages of development.

So I didn't get it specifically, but I was still right! Haha
I'll get to working on mine soon. I think I have all the materials collected. Stuff from work to scrounging around for stuff. No money involved yet. Would love to see more pics of yours for ideas.
I'll see if I can post pictures wright this down Cooper Lighting track lighting fixture #1ZR 312 box size 6.5 in x 6.5in square 8 in high hole size 1.5 in. I used a 50 watt led bulb the bulb and fixture cost $40.00 at home depot but its worth it . I put in a simple rocker switch . cost about $5 but you don't have to have one you can wire it straight and just unplug it every time. I didn't buy any thing but the bulb. every thing else came from the job .the switch came out of a small steam cleaner .I was

thinking of making some to sell but they would cost a $100.00 and that's to much .The stick on felt came from hobby lobby. I'll if I can get better pics

I added to my challenge. My DH brought in a Narragansett egg that our dear, dumb BBB hen tried to brood. She squashed it. I was going to peel the broken shell off and try to incubate in in the membrane in a thing called an Eggy (used for hard boiling eggs not in the shell, which is great as we keep all the broken eggs for ourselves). Anyhow, the membrane had a small tear in it too, so I slipped the contents of the egg into the Eggy and put it in the incubator.

I don't expect it to last more than a few days before bacteria wins the battle, but it will be interesting to see the early stages of development.

If that works it would something to see . you should have put some duct tape on it . no not really I did try putting scotch tape on one that was cracked but it didn't work .well I'll cross my fingers for you anyway. who knows the egg with the air sack on the side hatched maybe you'll get lucky to.

Tape won't help if the membrane is torn. And half the shell was crushed, she's about a 25 pound hen.
smile.png

If you successfully hatch that, your next challenge is to hatch this:

FLO_2_eggs__0518.jpg

you might be interested in this found it the other day. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-create-shell-study-bird-embryo-develops.html

Back
Top Bottom