She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

@meganhundley When my shipped chicks arrived, I had 2 that were doing a weird gasping thing it seemed only like when they were falling asleep. And those 2 sneezed quite a bit. Searching here on BYC I "learned" (since i wasn't "told" because i never posted) that Oxytetracycline HCL soluble powder was safe for babies, if you put 1/4-1/2 tsp in their quart sized water jar, has to be dumped/refilled every 24 hrs. They got better and haven't done it since!

I got a video of the pullets fighting! This black one instigates and then doesn't back down. Didn't want to make it to long but they kept going for awhile, until the young cockerel (who's not the dominate one) came over and broke them up. My main cockerel is proving to be pretty mean and useless!
[VIDEO]

I got a video of the pullets fighting! This black one instigates and then doesn't back down. Didn't want to make it to long but they kept going for awhile, until the young cockerel (who's not the dominate one) came over and broke them up. My main cockerel is proving to be pretty mean and useless!
[VIDEO]

Theyre so cute! I cant even take their lil pecking order fight seriously, theyre just So Cute an fluffy And Cute!

Oh wow. They are quite rambunctious...lol I don't think I've ever seen 2 chickens have a stare down for as long as those two did...lol
Tell that main roo he better straighten up and do it's job!

Alrighty then!!! So day 7 candling revealed that.....a majority of the CLB eggs were clears. :(   Only 2 had good movement and veining out of 8. Now with the Silkies, 1 clear, 2 quitters and 4 that were excellent in development. Lastly, with my personal CLB/Altsteirer cross pullet eggs....oldest egg is from the 6th, all showed growth and excellent movement and veining.  I have to say that shipping does a number on eggs. I am unsure how my package was handled but I did end up with 3 broken CLB eggs on arrival, one of the Silkie eggs that was clear was really jumbled up....so I think that shipping just about won this round. ;)     I hope the rest of these make it and :fl  the 2 remaining CLB eggs are pullets!!! HAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!:lau  

I know exactly how you feel!! Shipping is just terrible to eggs! They can be the best, healthiest, freshest eggs in the world and the shipping just scrambles those delicate cells inside. It's frustrating! :hugs good luck on the ones developing!

Congrats on the good ones.  I was just candling mine, day 7... I said to myself as I was looking, "I will never buy shipped eggs again."

Been there, said that! Then placed my next order online! :gig

ITs very difficult and hit or miss with shipped eggs. Ravyn did an excellent job at packing, I just feel that the jacksonville hub is terrible and throws the packages around. I intercepted a package once so it avoided going to jacksonville and the eggs were in excellent shape, almost all of them developed....and hatched. So....I hate the jacksonville hub personally. :/    But seeing that I need certain breeds that not within a reasonable driving distance I have to do something. I offer rare and fancy breeds. :D

Jacksonville, Florida?? My only two busts with shipped eggs went through Jacksonville, Florida!

HELP!! I have a BIG crush on this guy in my class I am in 5th grade I think he likes me but I don't wanna make a move I am scared he will reject me and I will be embarrassed but he has be dropping hints (touching, letting me borrow things) I am pretty good friends with him and I don't wanna ruin my friendship with him I know this is so unrelated but I need your HELP!!!!!

Please, take my advice. My son will be in 5th grade next year. Im honestly not a dorky mom. Don't concentrate on boys right now. I know that seems impossible but you will have the rest of your adult life to date and be in relationships. Concentrate on school, animals, your friends and family. When you're a little bit older, the right boy will want to date you because your a smart, kind, animal-loving, and caring girl. Don't rush it!

Do y'all pull your clears on day 7?  I'm so new to this candling that I left them.  Have 6 developing nicely and many I have no clue, lol

I do. But I didn't for a while. until I was absolutely certain and comfortable that I was 100% sure they were clears. Once you're sure, you can pull them anytime or wait till lockdown.

If you have a not so full incubator, do you think it would help if you took up the extra space with filled water bottles?

What incubator are you using? I've heard of people using store eggs and switching them out for new ones every few days with styro bators. The better your incubator, the less likely you'd need to add anything.

Officially into day 19!!! I have 14 eggs that made it to "lockdown." some of the bantam ameraucanas made it. Everybody else is a Mille fleur D'Uccle. -crossing my fingers and praying-

:fl good luck! Can't wait to see chick pics!!

I think Grata (prounounced Grouta) is blind in 1 eye. It's watering alot and, I don't know if you can really tell from the pic, but it's kind of cloudy looking while the other 1 is pitch black. I'm thinking 1 of the other chicks pecked her in the eye recently.

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. She's a beauty. It does look a little grayish.

Theyre so cute! I cant even take their lil pecking order fight seriously, theyre just So Cute an fluffy And Cute!

:lau

Oh wow. They are quite rambunctious...lol I don't think I've ever seen 2 chickens have a stare down for as long as those two did...lol
Tell that main roo he better straighten up and do it's job!

He's really becoming my least favorite and he used to be my favorite! I can't walk out in my yard without him doing his little dance around me and he bites the girls and could care less about anyone but himself!! I'm switching him out with one of these new chicks, hopefully. Anyway, do they look like 2 girls??

That was me, it was all about horses... til I got my license, lol. I still regret letting my parents sell my first horse
sad.png
I got married at 23, after our 2nd child, we had been engaged since the day our 1st was born, they are 2 years apart. I wouldn't say happily married since then but atleast we are happily married now, lol.
My first horse, Hombre, I trained as a 3 yro and competed on through college died the week of my wedding
sad.png
The day I picked up my wedding dress, my now husband was picking himup from the Vet on a flatbed trailer
hit.gif

Happily married now is what matters
smile.png

Walnut, you should name that cockerel Jenner, btw... then both bases are covered...
lau.gif
yuckyuck.gif
GOOD ONE
smile.png

Quote:
I think Grata (prounounced Grouta) is blind in 1 eye. It's watering alot and, I don't know if you can really tell from the pic, but it's kind of cloudy looking while the other 1 is pitch black. I'm thinking 1 of the other chicks pecked her in the eye recently.
Bless her heart. I just don't get why they go for the eyes right off. If it was a peck, it's like an ulcer and could heal with out affecting the vision. Don't put anything with a steroid in the eye. Good luck
fl.gif

X2

Quote:
Thank you. I seriously think if I can find breeders in Texas I might just drive the next time to get eggs. Some of these have some really weird air cells
sad.png

Last edited:
@meganhundley
 When my shipped chicks arrived, I had 2 that were doing a weird gasping thing it seemed only like when they were falling asleep. And those 2 sneezed quite a bit. Searching here on BYC I "learned" (since i wasn't "told" because i never posted) that Oxytetracycline HCL soluble powder was safe for babies, if you put 1/4-1/2 tsp in their quart sized water jar, has to be dumped/refilled every 24 hrs. They got better and haven't done it since!
K, I'll look for that. He seems alot better but he still cries every now and then and when he starts to cry louder he sounds a little raspy or hoarse. Thanks for the info :)

Back
Top Bottom