She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Please help: baby's born yesterday and today. 4. One has a bad prolapse. She can't eliminate on her own. Vet will uthanize her/him. When you try to push in. There is waste and a little bit of blood and a big bouble in vent. It's to big to stAy in place. Bandage doesn't stick. How would I super glue it .

I will preface this by saying I'm likely to agree with the Vet on this if it was hatched with a prolapsed vent. A prolapsed vent is highly likely to re-occur and without the hatchling able to eliminate on it's own the issue may be greater than just the prolapse.

Separate from any other hatchlings.
Clean with Vetracin (ideally after a warm bath)
Consider antibiotics as risk of infection is high if there is blood
bandage and diaper so the prolapsed vent cannot recur. I've only seen it done like this: http://smockturtle.blogspot.com/

Are you sure it's not umbilical? Can you provide quality photos to assist in a diagnosis? How do you know it can't eliminate on it's own? Is this multiple hatchlings?

Last edited:
I will preface this by saying I'm likely to agree with the Vet on this. A prolapsed vent is highly likely to re-occur and without the hatchling able to eliminate on it's own the issue may be greater than just the prolapse.

Separate from any other hatchlings.
 Clean with Vetracin (ideally after a warm bath)
 Consider antibiotics as risk of infection is high if there is blood
 bandage and diaper so the prolapsed vent cannot recur. I've only seen it done like this: http://smockturtle.blogspot.com/

Just FYI this is likely not a prolapsed vent. There's no way you could know this though - my knowledge on this is coming from past dealings with this poster.

My guess is it's an unclosed umbilicus that just needs to be left alone to close up. This poster saw what was an umbilical hernia that needed to be left alone on another duckling in this thread and also told the poster it was a vent prolapse. Especially with the baby being newly hatched I'm assuming the same thing is happening here. I'm trying to help on another thread as this poster has posted this same post to at least three threads that I'm aware of.

Pictures would definitely help.

Just FYI this is likely not a prolapsed vent. There's no way you could know this though - my knowledge on this is coming from past dealings with this poster.

My guess is it's an unclosed umbilicus that just needs to be left alone to close up. This poster saw what was an umbilical hernia that needed to be left alone on another duckling in this thread and also told the poster it was a vent prolapse. Especially with the baby being newly hatched I'm assuming the same thing is happening here. I'm trying to help on another thread as this poster has posted this same post to at least three threads that I'm aware of.

This was my thought exactly. I just edited my post to reflect.

Way more than 3 threads... :/

She can't go to bathroom at all I can separate. I can't bandage it will not stick I have all ready done these….i have all ready did ointment .she only 24 hrs old.she needs heat.. she will die in the small Carrier she can't escape heat. And for all in water even with marbles in it.hers is different because I see it in the vent. Please don't kill her.i delt with some of it but the could go a little.she can't go.it will not go in.it will not close.
she not OK please stop parlizing my family.my phone and computer system.we deserve help

Back
Top Bottom