• Meat

Votes: 14 15.7%
  • Wool

Votes: 33 37.1%
  • Dairy

Votes: 7 7.9%

• Total voters
These are the lambs we're growing out. šŸ˜†
The two whites are katahdin rams and the other is a female who will hopefully be a good breeder for us
20230608_170001.jpg

My sweet Rachel looks like any other white Katahdin ewe. However, she is, of course, special. She is also now alone; I got Rach as a companion for my red Katahdin, Betsy, who died over the winter. Bets was a mature ewe when I got her, so I don't know how old she was. But, she lived with me for about 10 years.

I was worried that Rach would be too lonely without Betsy, but I didn't get another sheep because I am slowly getting out of the too-many-critter phase through attrition. Luckily, the adjoining pasture houses my last two miniature goats. While I fail to understand why it's fun, Rach and the smaller goat, Greta, spend far too much time attempting to head butt each other through the cattle-panel fence that divides their lands. They seem to think it's a good way to spend their time, so who am I to stop them?

Rach has just finished rubbing off the last of her winter wool. Chunks of it are everywhere, including the nests of squirrels and wild birds. There is still plenty of it lodged in the fencing, too.

My sweet Rachel looks like any other white Katahdin ewe. However, she is, of course, special. She is also now alone; I got Rach as a companion for my red Katahdin, Betsy, who died over the winter. Bets was a mature ewe when I got her, so I don't know how old she was. But, she lived with me for about 10 years.

I was worried that Rach would be too lonely without Betsy, but I didn't get another sheep because I am slowly getting out of the too-many-critter phase through attrition. Luckily, the adjoining pasture houses my last two miniature goats. While I fail to understand why it's fun, Rach and the smaller goat, Greta, spend far too much time attempting to head butt each other through the cattle-panel fence that divides their lands. They seem to think it's a good way to spend their time, so who am I to stop them?

Rach has just finished rubbing off the last of her winter wool. Chunks of it are everywhere, including the nests of squirrels and wild birds. There is still plenty of it lodged in the fencing, too.
Glad to hear Rachel is still doing well. I miss the days when my sheep were that playful! I just found a robin's nest with my sheep's hair in it!

I just realized that Muffin is 15!! I've never had one live that long. Congratulations on her longevity! She deserves all the attention that I'm sure you happily give her.
Thanks, it's hard to believe. She's the oldest mammal we've ever owned. She gets plenty of bottom and neck scratches and looks forward to getting her grain every day. I can't give her many treats nowadays, though, as too much seems to make her lame, poor thing. I'm a little worried about keeping her weight on through the winter.

We had 3 East Friesian sheep and sold them to a farm friend. Now, we have 4 Shetland sheep and we love them. Already thinking about adding more to the flock. Much easier to manage in terms of size for sure! Below are pics of what they looked like when we picked them up and then after we had them sheared. (We would have adopted the Babydoll too, but she wasn't for sale.)
20230307_163258.jpg

PXL_20230523_231822606.jpg

@DuckDuckSook, your sheep are gorgeous! Too bad you couldn't have gotten the babydoll.

My lone remaining sheep, Rachel, always runs up to the garbage can where I keep the sheep and goat chow. When she didn't this evening, I knew something was up.

It's not unusual for her to stick her head through the woven wire fencing, then I come out and rescue her by bending the wire enough for her to free herself. But today Miss Einstein decided to put her head through one of the cattle panels. There's not much give to those openings.

Of course, her solution was to try to run through the panel, so as I tried to pull her back toward me with her head turned, she --who outweighs me -- pushed forward as hard as she could. Despite taking a sharp hoof to the left groin, I finally managed to wrestle her out.

I love sheep, but today's adventure reminded me of why I am NEVER getting more.

@DuckDuckSook, your sheep are gorgeous! Too bad you couldn't have gotten the babydoll.

My lone remaining sheep, Rachel, always runs up to the garbage can where I keep the sheep and goat chow. When she didn't this evening, I knew something was up.

It's not unusual for her to stick her head through the woven wire fencing, then I come out and rescue her by bending the wire enough for her to free herself. But today Miss Einstein decided to put her head through one of the cattle panels. There's not much give to those openings.

Of course, her solution was to try to run through the panel, so as I tried to pull her back toward me with her head turned, she --who outweighs me -- pushed forward as hard as she could. Despite taking a sharp hoof to the left groin, I finally managed to wrestle her out.

I love sheep, but today's adventure reminded me of why I am NEVER getting more.
Thank you! I know what you mean about sheep adventures. I feel like I was having one of those nearly every day when I had the East Friesians. These smaller Shetlands are energetic and playful, but they haven't gotten into too much trouble yet. I'm hoping they will be hardier than the EF's. I greatly appreciate their size - I can pick them up. The EF's knocked my children over frequently and often times, nearly too me out too. They were large and in charge!

I once had a big Katahdin wether, who was trying to avoid taking dewormer, knock me
backwards so hard that when my head hit the ground, it broke the metal and plastic barrette that was holding my hair back. Fortunately, there was minimal bleeding.

Maybe I should have had Shetlands! They sound sweet and easier to handle. :)

Back
Top Bottom