sheep sneezing blood!

coonhoundmama87

Songster
8 Years
Oct 26, 2011
Wisconsin
Hoping someone might give me some idea of what's going on. About 3 weeks ago during a bad cold snap had a 7 month old ram (american blackbelly) start sneezing blood. Figured it was the cold so we shot him. Looked over his insides, everything was fine except his lungs had clots. Again just figured it was weather. That and the other boys were picking on him. Now today on a warmer day his brother is doing the same out of the blue. He was fine this morning but was doing some fighting as well. Everyone else is completely healthy. Have 3 two week old lambs doing excellent. Just confused as to what's going on. Any ideas? Had my flock for going on 6 years with no issue. Even my mom who raised sheep for years is at a loss. I'm in wisconsin if that makes any difference. Thanks for any advice!!!

I don't like to up my vet bills any more than I have to but on something like that I'd be calling a vet for sure. I raise sheep as well and really can't afford to lose any of them to guesswork. Good luck with him - I hope you are able to get some answers and it turns out not to be anything serious.

You definitely need a vet. If you cannot afford a vet when your animals are ailing, then you nee to not keep animals. I don't make much, but I always keep an emergency fund on hand for the vet. A little from each paycheck makes it grow like any other savings account.

Pasteurellosis or a severe lungworm infestation are two things that come to mind immediately. Lungworms do not show up on a fecal check, by the way. And you can vaccinate against Pasteurellosis. It is recommended in cold regions, since the pneumonia from the disease can kill.

Thanks for the advice. Never said I couldn't afford a vet. Was just looking for anyone who has experienced anything similar for some advice :)

There are a few diseases tthat can cause pneumonia in sheep and several of them can be quite contagious. With other sheep around, I would consider calling a vet to run some diagnostics to see what is the cause. It's just impossible to make a diagnosis without seeing the animal, and even necropsies don't always reveal the cause. However, getting to the root of the issue will help determine if it is contagious, and will help you formulate a plan to prevent your other sheep from getting sick.

Another issue that can cause bleeding from the nostrils are sheep nasal bots, also know as Oestrus ovis. This is a pretty easy issue to take care of, but doesn't usually cause lower respiratory issues. If it is indeed pneumonia, I would want to know what is causing it. Pasteurella multocida and Mannheimia hemolytica are common causes of shipping fever or bronchopneumonia in sheep.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom