She's supposed to be a RIR, but is she? **PICS**

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by noodleroo, Oct 19, 2010.

1. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    She's very sweet. I didn't want to be rude or show my ignorance when my friend gave her to me and said she was a Rhode Island Red. She's got speckles; some kind of cross?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    She doesn't look anything like my RIRs. Mine are completely mahogany red.

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    thats a mix pullet-Rir are much darker with noo speckles Im sorry:-(

4. noodleroo

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Yep, I don't really know what she is, but I was pretty sure she wasn't a RIR. It doesn't matter what she is (to me), I love her whatever her ancestry. Anybody know what the speckles could come from?

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:of course she could be 1/2 RIR and somethign else-so the genetics might be on half her genes. She reminds me of a mille fluer-look at my avatar-thats what Im holding all though you cant tell hahaha

6. noodleroo

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    That makes sense that she's 1/2 RIR. She was the lone survivor of a really bad attack by something strong (my guess-coon, my friend's guess-cougar). She had been by herself for about 6 weeks in a wire bottom coop so her feathers are a bit worn and she has an old injury on her right wing. I guess from the attack. To make matters worse, the day after we got her she apparently jumped or fell off the roost and hurt her leg. Its much better now and she's getting around fine, but I was worried all last week about her being egg bound and everything else you can think of. She's still not laying but she looks like she just went through a molt; her comb and feathers look kinda 'waxy'. I've bathed and massaged her abdomen (which she LOVES) and I guess she's just not laying right now. She's a really sweet little chicken and I just love her already, whatever she is...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by