Shhh...illegal aliens in my backyard.

Hatrick

Songster
10 Years
Apr 4, 2009
So, after calling the humane society and city hall several times, no one bothered to return my calls about zoning and chickens. So I guess since they don't care enough to call me back I'm good to go.
tongue.png

Anyhoo, we're right in downtown St. Catharines, Ontario and I know from my uncle who works in the by-law department that chickens are indeed NOT allowed, however my girls are arriving tomorrow. And yes, I was a rebellious child who brought home ferrets, snakes and parrots.
He said that although they're not allowed that unless someone complained the city would do nothing about it, and even then there is no fine, they would just tell us to get rid of them. To which we would claim them to be house pets.
roll.png

Does anyone have any tips on keeping the neighbours quiet?
I'm thinking bribing with eggs (although we have a high rise in full view of our yard and not enough hens for that I'm sure).

Yup fresh eggs always good for neighbors. Plus really chickens are very quiet compaired to other animals. My neighbors send over empty egg cartons, so I always just fill them and send them back
lol.png

I'm going to be doing this very thing myself and, as part of the plan, I'm not going to have a rooster. Hopefully that will keep complaints to a minimum. There is a house on the main drag in this very small town in which I live, that has a chicken tractor with 3 or 4 hens in it that is frequently right out in the front yard. That leads me to believe we have some lattitude! Good luck!

good fences make great neighbors ...

make sure they cant see your new exotic ground dwelling (AKA chickens) parrots and you should be fine...

I have a friend in town here in guelph she has 2 chickens and every few months she will "board" her chickens here when by-law gets to close and then take her girls home...thank goodness i have a large boeeder in my basement to allow chicken sleepovers...

I am always doing things against what most do however HOW is that you all secretly have them and nobody hears them? I was almost an all go for getting two hens but THEN started watching some youtubes with hens laying and they seem so loud . Our neighborhood is oddly quiet!

Back
Top Bottom