Shipping and Heat ?

Hawkeye95

Songster
8 Years
Jun 18, 2011
Oklahoma City area
My Coop
My Coop
What is everyone's thoughts on shipping during this heat? We're in KS and are up to 110+ during the heat of the day right now. That is actual temperature, not heat index. I'm wanting to order chicks, but I'm really worried about them being okay. I'm thinking I'm just going to hold off a bit and order a bit later when this heat wave breaks. But even then, I'm sure we'll still have some hot days, although not quite as extreme. How late would you order chicks? I want them to be large/old enough to weather the winter well, too. I'm planning on ordering from Meyers since I only want like 10 chicks (not 25!!).

I just received a shipment this week. Mine came from Ohio and were shipped on Monday to Idaho. Temperatures were high in both places so I was really worried about them but all 27 arrived safely early Wednesday morning and are doing great. It is a risk, which is why I think a lot of people wait until fall but it can be done. This is my first time ordering in the summer heat. I have ordered in late winter before, which brings its own worries.
smile.png

I wouldn't risk it this time of year anymore than I'd risk having them shipped to me in the dead of winter. Just because the hatcheries will ship them doesn't mean it's best for the chicks. If you get them by the end of Sept beginning of October they should be fine by the time our real cold sets in.

We have shipped in 2 bunches this week with heat index temps around 110 none were stressed or weak.A big consideration is how remote of an area your in...how long they are on a small truck coming into the po..mine are only a few minutes ride.If it's a hatchery they ship in much larger boxes during this hot season so the chicks are not crowded at all and have lots more space then when you get them in the winter or spring months where they need to be close for body heat.

I know you're in the Wichita area.....I'm about an hour NW of Wichita and I always track any chicks I'm getting and go to the airport PO hub to pick them up. I get them about 12 hours sooner than waiting for them to get to my PO early in the morning.....cuts their travel time down so it's worth the drive to me.

Quote:
oh! I didnt' know you could do that!? That is a GREAT idea! I will def try to do that, too!

Their number is kind of hard to find, but my post office gave it to me so if you ever need it I'll pm it to you.

Back
Top Bottom