Shipping chicks with heating pad??

kristim23

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 8, 2010
Hey everyone! Here I am, yet again, hoping for some help...

I am getting ready to place an order for 16 mixed day old chicks from Meyer Hatchery. I'm in Western PA, they are in Ohio. Not sure if this matters. Anyway, they will fill small orders, which is why I chose them. I'm ordering them for the first week of March. They will ship my chicks for an extra thirty or so bucks overnite, and with some sort of heating pad. To me, this either seems like a great idea, or a disaster waiting to happen. I called and asked about how it worked: they place something that works like a hand warmer under the bedding in the box, and they also said since I want 16, that they will also provide warmth for each other.

Has anyone ever done this? Does this seem like a horrible idea, or am I worrying too much?

I haven't done this, but I know there's people on BYC who have done this. I am not sure how it works, exactly, but I haven't heard one person complain that their chicks or ducklings have been injured.

If and when I plan to get my own ducklings, I will probably require a heating pad, too, as I will be placing a fairly small order.

I just placed an order with them today also!!! I am getting 15 along with the heat packs, because I do not want any packing peanuts. From what I have read online, this is pretty safe and many are starting to do the same, I am not worried, I think it is a great idea. Meyer's was very nice to me and I'm glad I choose them. Which date did you go for? I'm on the March 8th hatch and this will be our very first flock ever
D.gif

Thanks, guys! I'm so glad this is an ok idea!! I was a little worried that it was too good to be true.

Schwartzfarmnc- I'm hoping for them to be here on the fourth, hopefully all the breeds I want will be available for then. I have talked to them a few times, and have been very happy with their customer service. It's our first flock, too! What kinds did you get? I really have to stop looking at their site; every time I do, my count goes up by two
big_smile.png

I agree, their customer service is great, each time I email them they have responded back quickly and are pleasant to deal with.
We are getting the following:

2 Plymouth Barred Rocks

2 Speckled Sussex

2 Silver Laced Wyandotte

2 Buff Orpington

1 Delaware

3 Partridge Rocks

3 Easter Eggers

What about you?

Just Meyer's two cents -

We've been shipping as few as 3 baby chicks for years, with great success! We take every step possible to make sure your babies arrive safe and sound.

We're so glad you have chose us as your source for poultry. Looking forward to your order!

I am hoping for :
2 Barred Rocks
2 Black Australorps
2 Buff Orpingtons
2 BLR Wyandottes
2 SL Wyandottes
4 Welsummers
4 Easter Eggers

Like I said before, that list is up by 2, because I noticed that they have BLRW.
droolin.gif

I really better order soon. Chicken math is kicking in ALREADY!

Quote:
I ordered my chicks from breeder who shipped them to me with a Heat pack and a food pack attached to shiping box so the would slide around when tossed by the PO and the chicks arrived warm and healthly without having to overnight them.

Quote:
Yep, you better get them quick before you start adding even more.

We started out getting 8, then it went to 10 just in case 1 or 2 don't make it....well then we thought about another breed, so our final count would be 12.....So I called Meyer and placed my order, and the lady infomed me if I added 3 more I could cut my shipping in half. Who would'nt take that advice (thank you Deb), so long story short, our final count as of today is 15..... stay tuned
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom