Shipping to california not allowed

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by gogo10131, Mar 7, 2011.

1. gogo10131

gogo10131 In the Brooder

May 23, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I bought a pair of chickens from Washington a week ago and when the seller went to mail the birds today they said that California isn't accepting live birds. I've had many birds shipping to me without any problem from outside of California as recently as of September. Has anyone heard of this?

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Haven't heard of such a thing. Has anyone is CA received birds lately?????

I know there was a show in Stockton at the end of January. They would have cancelled it if there was a problem.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Free Ranging

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I haven't heard anything about that either.

I PM'd cherylcohen. I know she has been expecting live birds coming in.

4. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    In the past I've received live chicks, live 3 - 6 month olds from 3 different parts of the country. My buff laced brahmas were supposed to ship today but wisconsin is due for a snow storm so I'm shipping my birds and he's shipping his birds to me NEXT monday.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Ask the seller to provide you with names and phone numbers for the people who told him that. It may have to do with weather at the origin or destination, wit the shipping method, or with an uninformed mail person.

Might also check with the CA Agriculture Department.

6. TACEYPERKINS

TACEYPERKINS Songster

Mar 2, 2009
    Medford,Oregon
    Man I hope that is not the case, I am going to be getting several 2 mth olds next week. I will have to call my local post office. I will let you know what they say.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  7. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    I haven't heard anything? Strange.... [​IMG]

8. TACEYPERKINS

TACEYPERKINS Songster

Mar 2, 2009
    Medford,Oregon
    Ok, so I just got off the phone with USPS. 800-ASK-USPS, She said ...

For day old chicks -you can only send them air or ground only, not internationally.
    only being shipped April through August only.And a surcharge may apply about .22 per lb.

For Adult birds- Ground and Air mail- Express Mail only. Can be shipped whenever, no restrictions right now.

She did happen to say that Ca cant send to Alaska or Hawaii right now, but didn't give a reason why.

My suggestions are to call the 800# to ask them specifically your area info. It is automated then you can ask for customer service and you will get a real person. Good luck!

9. gogo10131

gogo10131 In the Brooder

May 23, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks for the helps. I'm going to give my post office another call today.

10. brimag

brimag Hatching

May 2, 2009
    Received 35 Cornish x from Welp Hatchery in Oct. 2010, Dec. 2010, and Feb. 2011. Shipped to local P.O. No problem.
    BTW, Feb. shipment was 37 chicks. As of March 9, still feeding 37! Healthy chicks - Good supplier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: