shivering duckling

3crazyboys

Chirping
Mar 28, 2017
Southern NH
Hi everyone,
I have a question about one of my ducklings. He (or she) is eating and drinking well, and seems perfectly fine, with the exception of one thing. When he is standing, he looks to be shivering, or having tremors. He's shivering so severely that you can hear it on the ground that he's standing on. He can walk with no trouble, is eating and drinking fine, and can hold his head up. I would guess that he is about 3 weeks old, and looks to be a KC. I'm feeding them a non-medicated 20% chick starter with Brewers yeast mixed in. They get occassional treats such as mealworms and kale.
Any ideas?
Thanks!!
-Danielle

20 % is too high protein for ducklings that age. And cam cause leg and wing problems.
I would get down to 15-17 % and make sure they are getting 1 tablespoon per cup of feed of the yeast
I had to wet my food to make sure they were actually eating it.
Otherwise the powder was left at the bottom of the bowl.
I had one whos legs would shake like that last spring too.
Till i added more yeast and lowered protein even more.

Last edited:
Your welcome! Let us know if it helps
1f44d-1f3fb.png

So I purchased a new feed with a 15% protein level, and the shivering/tremors still are happening. He/She is still eating and drinking and walking well, and doesn't seem to have any other issues
roll.png

So I purchased a new feed with a 15% protein level, and the shivering/tremors still are happening. He/She is still eating and drinking and walking well, and doesn't seem to have any other issues :rolleyes:

Okay when did you start the new feed? It looks like its only been 4 or 5 days since it started.
Even if you started the new feed the same day it may stll take a couple more days to see a difference. Do you think its better at all?
Are you making sure they are getting enough niacin? Wetting the food maybe to be sure its all getting eaten with the food?

Haha ok, yeah I suppose I'm jumping the gun a bit, as they've only been on the feed since Saturday am. I do think that it is a bit better. I'm going to try wetting the food to make sure they're getting enough of the yeast
smile.png

Guess who's duckling is no longer shivering!!! I wet the food with the nutritional yeast, so I know they're getting the niacin. The little guy/gal is doing great!! Thank you!!!

Back
Top Bottom