Should 3 mos old chickens be leaving feathers in the run?

ScottsdaleChickens

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2020
I keep finding long feathers in the run but do not see any patches of missing feathers on my 3 mos old chickens bodies. It has been consistently between 104. - 110 here in AZ. They look and act healthy. Feathers are shiny. Is this normal.

Last edited:
I kerp finding long fearhers in the run but do not see any patches of missing feathers on my 3 mos old chickens bodies. It has been consistentky between 104. - 110 here in AZ. They look and act healthy. Feathers are shiny. Is this normal.
I assume so. I see lots of feathers, but no bare patches, and birds are in good health.

Young chickens will grow and molt out several growth of feathers until their permanent adult feathering grows in.
As far as shiny feathers, what breeds of birds do you have?
A picture of your birds will help here.
Some flocks are just shiny like sumatras, in some other breeds the rooster will be the shiniest.

Young chickens will grow and molt out several growth of feathers until their permanent adult feathering grows in.
As far as shiny feathers, what breeds of birds do you have?
A picture of your birds will help here.
Some flocks are just shiny like sumatras, in some other breeds the rooster will be the shiniest.

I have Rhode Island Reds, Easter Eggers, IDEAL. That is very interesting about molting until they get adult feathers. That is very helpful.

I kerp finding long fearhers in the run but do not see any patches of missing feathers on my 3 mos old chickens bodies. It has been consistentky between 104. - 110 here in AZ. They look and act healthy. Feathers are shiny. Is this normal.
My gang of young ones are just over 3 months and it looks like there was a huge pillow fight. Feathers everywhere but they're all healthy and no bare patches. Just making room for the next set of grownup feathers!

Back
Top Bottom