Should I adopt this new chicken?!

Happy trails.jpg
:frow

There is risk anytime you bring in new chickens.

The risk is lower, if you incubate your own eggs, or if you order vaccinated chicks.
And vaccinated chicks can still get Marek's, " Chickens vaccinated against Marek’s disease rarely get sick. But the vaccine does not prevent them from spreading Marek’s to unvaccinated birds." */www.pbs.org/newshour/science/tthis-chicken-vaccine-makes-virus-dangerous

And, there are many other viruses and bacterial infections that can reek havoc in a flock.

You might think that getting chickens from the same place as before would be less risk. But, it too is a roll of the dice! If there are many people visiting that place for their chickens; they are all bringing in microbes from other places. If the breeder doesn't have a strict bio-security protocol. Then, it's just like when a pup gets parvo, most likely, it came on the shoes of the owners.

So, you see...you could get really crazy, trying to eliminate all risk. We live in a world full of life forms we can't see. Heck, they even live on us!

The Best thing you can do, is to quarantine for one month, at least. If you get chicks or chickens from different places, quarantine for 3-4 months. That's what I did recently, but to do this, you have to have an adequate quarantine pen. Since, your new chickens will be living there and maybe even start to lay eggs there.

The other thing you can do is keep your chickens healthy with strong immune systems. Feed them properly, keep their coop and run free of rodents, they are major causes of disease. Don't over use antibiotics, use probiotics to improve gut flora.

Most of all enjoy your chickens...they can be a blessing in your life.

These are my condensed thoughts on the subject, hope they useful.

God Bless and peace to you. :)

Last edited:
I have Horses too...Sorry you got injured doing something you probably love...I sold all my Big horses although kept my Arabian..He is going to be 17 in February...I have a Mini also so Kupid has a buddy...Once he is gone, no more riding horses...
Hope a speedy recovery for you....:frow

Last edited:
My understanding is when you vaccinate chicks for Mereks, then you just ensure they never show symptoms, they still may have Mereks and spread it to your flock.
Am I right here @chickens really ???
I hate to reply and get mobbed...It depends on the strain of Mereks...No such thing as a guaranteed vaccine for Chickens....

Marek's vaccine is designed to prevent/ decrease the incidence of the ugly painful tumors that kill the infected chickens. It keeps vaccinated birds healthier and tumor free, which is a very positive thing, IMO.
Maybe someday there will be a vaccine that actually prevents the infection, but the virus is tricky (like the AIDS virus, or influenza) and so far that goal hasn't been reached.
We work with what we have available..... Anyone want to fund more research? That's what helps! Mary

I have Horses too...Sorry you got injured doing something you probably love...I sold all my Big horses although kept my Arabian..He is going to be 17 in February...I have a Mini also so Kupid has a buddy...Once he is gone, no more riding horses...
Hope a speedy recovery for you....:frow
Thank you, yes it's a dangerous sport, my husband is still upset about me still wanted to ride but it's too hard for me to give up

Back
Top Bottom