Should I be worried about my chicken's beak?

katie_94

Songster
Oct 14, 2021
First time chicken owner. This girl here is 5 months old and I don't spend a lot of time with them bc of work and school but while giving them treats I noticed something odd about her beak. She eats/drinks/scavenges just fine. As far as I've witnessed, there's never been fighting or aggression between her and the others. We have no roosters. None are laying yet. They free-range during daylight. They all eat Purina Flock Raiser Crumbles with fresh fruits/veggies or mealworms sometimes as treats.

I've touched/rubbed it which didn't phase her and there was no blood. Is this a simple case of "peeling" and it'll grow back like fingernails? All the other chickens have nothing visibly wrong with their beaks.

Attachments

• IMG_5845.PNG
    IMG_5845.PNG
    3 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5846.PNG
    IMG_5846.PNG
    2.7 MB · Views: 12
It will eventually grow back, like fingernails. It might take a while, though. As long as she can eat and drink ok, she should be fine. She may have been pecking at something and got the tip caught, and it just snapped off. Keep an eye on it to see how she does.

It will eventually grow back, like fingernails. It might take a while, though. As long as she can eat and drink ok, she should be fine. She may have been pecking at something and got the tip caught, and it just snapped off. Keep an eye on it to see how she does.
I see, thank you! I will continue to keep an eye on her.

Your hen isnt going to be able to pick up feed and eat it. If she does, it's going to be very little and she will eventually starve to death.
Here's a link for you to read. It's for cracked beaks but the same applies for broken or partially missing beaks. Please read post #7:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/broken-open-beak.1337516/#post-21876931
sorry for the late reply as I was busy with finals. the tip of her top beak is still there it's just I think the "shell" that broke off. I tried the cracked corn test with her and she would drop some of them but immediately ate and swallowed it the literal next second. Same with any fruits and veggies. My other chickens do the same and their beaks are wholly intact/no broken parts or injuries. Her feeder looks like this but the bottom where the feed goes into is deeper. Their automatic waterer is a nipple type but I left a fresh bowl each day for her as well as softened food. She seems to be doing fine and eating/drinking as much as the others even the same crumble feed that's not softened and from the water nipple. she hasn't lost weight in her breast area or overall

i really appreciate the link you're provided!

Back
Top Bottom