Mutha_Clucka

Chirping
Apr 10, 2023
Los Angeles
(PHOTO OF RED POOP)
Hi y’all, I’m new here! I got 4 Amerucanas that are 3 weeks, almost 4 weeks old. I had noticed this strange poop today. It’s the only one I found and first I’ve seen like this.
I’m super worried about Cocci. They did just have strawberries for the first time but idk if this would change their poop this much.. or make it soft. All other poops were solid & not red. I could use some help & insight.

Attachments

• 02A74D4C-71F8-44F6-BD96-FD994EF5E399.jpeg
    02A74D4C-71F8-44F6-BD96-FD994EF5E399.jpeg
    987.4 KB · Views: 35
Have you stopped the strawberries? How is the bird acting? Any lethargy, sitting puffed up, not eating or drinking well?
Corid is very safe, if in doubt I would go ahead and treat. Treat all of them that are together. 1 1/2 tsp of the powder, or 2 tsp of the liquid Corid per gallon of water for 5 to 7 days. Make sure it's the only water they have access to, and make fresh daily. No vitamin supplements during treatment as it can reduce the effectiveness of the medication. You can give probiotics as long as they don't contain vitamins as well.

If you can find some locally, it would be better to start right away. There are different strains of coccidia, some are more virulent than others. In some cases death can be very rapid, just hours. The sooner you start treatment the better. Most feed stores and tractor supply stores carry it.
You can also give an oral dose for up to 3 days, which I would do for any of them that act sick or aren't drinking well. You give the oral dose in addition to the medicated water. Dosing for that is here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/

This morning, same chicken pooped again and it looks worse this time. I’m really feeling this is Cocci. 😭

Attachments

• 9CD1F09F-978C-4940-B009-217FCCDCE997.jpeg
    9CD1F09F-978C-4940-B009-217FCCDCE997.jpeg
    333.4 KB · Views: 14
Have you stopped the strawberries? How is the bird acting? Any lethargy, sitting puffed up, not eating or drinking well?
Corid is very safe, if in doubt I would go ahead and treat. Treat all of them that are together. 1 1/2 tsp of the powder, or 2 tsp of the liquid Corid per gallon of water for 5 to 7 days. Make sure it's the only water they have access to, and make fresh daily. No vitamin supplements during treatment as it can reduce the effectiveness of the medication. You can give probiotics as long as they don't contain vitamins as well.
Thanks so much! This is very helpful. We stopped the strawberries. The chick with the bloody poop & all chicks seem normal. They are all eating and drinking normal as of now. The chick with the poopy blood does look a little puffed up, especially while roosting but it’s hard to tell if it’s abnormal. I just ordered some Corrid to be safe. Will treat with that and see how it goes. Fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom