Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

I would have charged! You did her the favor by taking them in. Giving you a bag of food is nice but doesn't begin to cover the true cost of your time spent taking care of them!

If you feel bad next time charge her but throw in a couple extra for free.

Nice set up scrambles. Your pen for your 4 is gonna make my pen seem small!!! After all I'll have 20+.

Silly dog decided to check out the cat tower!!

Showbarn and Mortie how are the babies doing?

Last edited:

The bigger and better pen for my girls. 12x20 for 4 hens.
Roomy enough to throw a party and invite a bunch of chicken friends!

I would have charged! You did her the favor by taking them in. Giving you a bag of food is nice but doesn't begin to cover the true cost of your time spent taking care of them!

If you feel bad next time charge her but throw in a couple extra for free.

Nice set up scrambles. Your pen for your 4 is gonna make my pen seem small!!! After all I'll have 20+.

Silly dog decided to check out the cat tower!!

Showbarn and Mortie how are the babies doing?
How cute! He's already doing his job, laying in wait on a high vantage point with good visibility. Consider yourself protected!

Cheeka, maybe give the lady a buck off next time if you are feeling guilty. The birds belong to you now.
smile.png

The bigger and better pen for my girls. 12x20 for 4 hens.

buy some eggs. It may be a week or two before they start laying. Love your profile picture.

Hiya!
frow.gif
Actually, his chickens have been laying for quite some time now, but the thread is still going. Welcome to BYC! What's your chicken situation?

nice setup Scrambles! bigger is always better! I've just found sometimes bigger means colder in the Winter, harder to keep warm, but straw bales solved that...

lindz, freezing rain stinks! they said on the news that y'all were getting snow... which is not as dangerous really as freezing rain... good news that Ratchet was making a stink about the huskies! I think he'll be very good at protecting his territory which will fuel Zauk into action - between the 2, the huskies stand little chance as long as they are spotted... I'd forgotten that I had a loose dog here a few years ago, here so often that I finally put him in my back garage, with food, water and a pillow... I'm not a meanie... but I wanted the owner to have to come to me. which he did. and that was the last time his dog got loose. those neighbors of yours are real knuckleheads. glad the flock is safe!

the Fosters previous owner is back in town, she stopped up today to get some eggs and see the fatties. I charged her for the eggs... I almost gave them to her, but decided that I did her the favor... and while she did bring me the feed that was at her house before closing up for the season... I did give her eggs over the month of December... I don't know... it was only 4 bucks... should I have charged her? eh... next time maybe I won't...

corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, carrots are simmering away, smells so good! the sun is shining, but it's mighty cold out! (15°) I had the flock out for a bit, the boys didn't want to go back in, but everyone else did...

16 Eggs today
Yea, I would rather have had snow... There were icicles on everything... I'm very proud of the boys, but I doubt Zauk gets fueled into action. He is getting old for a Dane, and his hips and joints are all ready starting to bother him. He will be 6 next week, and on average most Danes only live 7-8 years... Some will make it to 8-10 but not many. If he gets to where he can't get up and down by himself, we will have to make the decision to have him put down. There are at least 5 steps to get into either one of our doors. I can't get a 140 lb dog up and down them by myself when hubby is at work.
sad.png
Ratchet goes out first thing in the morning and stays out all day... He patrols the yard, making a circuit from the back door, down to the coop, around behind the coop into the woods, back up and around the house, then back down... I think when he gets a little older and bigger he will keep most everything under control. When Zauk is gone (which I hope is a few years from now) we will probably get a LGD, if we don't get one when we get the goats... although that is looking like it may be next year instead of this spring.

Back
Top Bottom