Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Oh, and I got 26 eggs today! Out of 30 Layers! Finally the numbers are picking up! But I have 12 dozen sitting in my fridge since I have been home bound and not selling them on my way to visit my parents. I Have to get selling!

Had my chicks sexed today. I'm keeping 3 pullets and 3 Roos. Leaving 6 pullets and 2 Roos for sale. The guy used the flip over method for sexing. Said it's hardly ever wrong. Has anyone else done this method/uses this method? He says he's only been wrong on a handful of chicks. Thoughts???

Thank you for your kind words Cheeka and W4W. I will take some pictures of the EE's tomorrow when the weather is better. We have had terrible thunder storms all day with tornado warnings up until 11 pm tonite. With the terrible weather I decided to keep all the chickens free ranging so that they could seek shelter from the rain. They were all soaking wet when I went to the barn to put them to bed around 7 pm tonite. Dummies. But, when I got to the barn, my roo Johnny Cash was being beat up by another of my roos, Ichabod. Normally Johnny boots Ichabod off any hen he is mounting if Johnny is around. Johnny is in really bad shape. He was barely standing and Ichabod kept pecking him and jumping on him. He has all of his facial fuzz pulled out and his head was bloody and he was breathing funny. I cleaned him up and put him in a water trough that I keep for chicks with food and water. I guess I will see how he made it through the nite. Any one else ever have that happen or did you catch it before it went this far? I hate seeing him suffer but I don't know if I could actually put him down if he is still in rough shape by morning. I have 30 hens and 3 roos, and they all worked out their flocks before. Not sure what changed. Johnny was the first chick I ever hatched.
hit.gif
hugs.gif
I am so sorry to hear of everything you are going thru right now. Especially losing your Dad.
Sometimes the pecking order takes a change. If the head roo loses a single argument, it all goes crazy.
You just don't know.

Whohoo! Technological breakthrough! I am replying on my phone! In an effort to prevent my dad from killing his back, I helped my brother heave his new hot water heater up onto the platform and am now paying the price. Sitting at the computer is painful, so I am lounging on the sofa playing with my seldom used phone. Pretty amazing (and a bit eerie) that it will predict what I am trying to type and offer a list of possible words. Who thinks up this stuff?! I should be up and around tomorrow, so I'll get some pics of the bantam coop run going up.

Whohoo! Technological breakthrough! I am replying on my phone! In an effort to prevent my dad from killing his back, I helped my brother heave his new hot water heater up onto the platform and am now paying the price. Sitting at the computer is painful, so I am lounging on the sofa playing with my seldom used phone. Pretty amazing (and a bit eerie) that it will predict what I am trying to type and offer a list of possible words. Who thinks up this stuff?! I should be up and around tomorrow, so I'll get some pics of the bantam coop run going up.
hugs.gif
Rest your back for sure! I do that too much too but stuff's gotta get done..
Shoveled out a truckload of milling/blacktop to add parking spots today. Tired of my back driveway area looking like a mudpit.
I just got the samsung note 3, love it! I have byc on it, facebook, yahoo, all kinds of neat stuff.
Even do my egg tracking spreadsheet on it. How many and species per day. separate tabs for incubation by species.
The phones are a mini computer any more.
Android is past awesome. Youngest DD likes Iphone, everything Apple etc. UGH
roll.png

DH uses his laptop PC to watch movies, thats it!
lau.gif

Wonder what technology will bring us in 5 years, 10..
I have 2 laptops I use nonstop. One is strictly bills, money, finances etc.
The other is everything else so there's "almost" no chance of something getting hacked.

love.gif
they are past adorable! Also is the young man about to pick them up!
I missed it, what breed are they?
Had my chicks sexed today. I'm keeping 3 pullets and 3 Roos. Leaving 6 pullets and 2 Roos for sale. The guy used the flip over method for sexing. Said it's hardly ever wrong. Has anyone else done this method/uses this method? He says he's only been wrong on a handful of chicks. Thoughts???

I have heard of it and tried it with my turkeys. All my hatched Royal Palms were TOMS and it was accurate.
Its the thing where if they draw the feet in legs in, they are hens, if they pedal or legs or out its a roo?

:love they are past adorable! Also is the young man about to pick them up!
I missed it, what breed are they?

I have heard of it and tried it with my turkeys. All my hatched Royal Palms were TOMS and it was accurate.
Its the thing where if they draw the feet in legs in, they are hens, if they pedal or legs or out its a roo?

He was petting them. I had a whole series lol
And they are frizzle americaunas. And yes, same theory for sexing. I hope it's true. Lol

The salesgirl did that for my first six chickens. 100% wrong. All but one was a boy. I suspect the one she wasn't sure on was the girl.
Not that I am disputing it! I am just afraid of that method. I prefer the "how feathered are they" at 3-5 days method. Too bad I can't remember who feathers first! I was right on 28 out of 30 last year.

Back
Top Bottom