Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

HELP!!!! My Rumples cant walk. She hobbles on the back of her hocks. She has been this way for a couple of days that I know of. I just treated her with ivermectin as per my vet and I am going to try and give her scrambled eggs with Vitamin B and D added. I cant lose her. She is trying so hard to keep her babies safe. Thank you!!

Oh nooo! Poor Rumples!
sad.png
Last year OK had a hen that couldn't walk. It took quite a while, but I think she got better. Maybe OK will chime in on this. I'll do some research, and if I see anything, I'll post. You could start a new thread in the emergencies section.

Oh nooo! Poor Rumples!
sad.png
Last year OK had a hen that couldn't walk. It took quite a while, but I think she got better. Maybe OK will chime in on this. I'll do some research, and if I see anything, I'll post. You could start a new thread in the emergencies section.
Thank you... I am trying to post a video, but I cant. DH and I forced her out of the broody pen and locked the others out. She is waddling around with the chicks following.

Scrambles, the only things I found besides injury is Mareks, vitamin deficiency, and worms. Mareks disease has no treatment and likely you would lose some of the chicks (unless they were vaccinated), which isn't happening so unlikely as your problem. You are already treating with Vits, although I would worry about overdosing. Many recommend Poly-vi-sol, which are liquid drops for children, but only use the ones without iron. The worm thing surprised me, but apparently an acute infestation can have a sudden effect on an adult chicken. Probably wouldn't hurt to worm her if nothing else works, but seems like she would have other symptoms. (Were you the one worried about lice not too long ago? Could that cause the same problems, I wonder?)

I'm sure you've checked and felt for any possible injuries, so that leaves my own wild theory of stretched/slipped tendons from lack of exercise and sitting for so long?? (I had my own troubles after a difficult first pregnancy, so maybe a chicken mama can have problem too). If it's the case, time and rest and good care are about the only things you can do.

Are there any other symptoms? Curled feet? One sided paralysis? Are her feet warm and a good color?

Wish I knew something more to help.
hugs.gif
Hope she gets better soon!
fl.gif

Last edited:
Keep us updated. I didn't find anything other than what W4W found. How are her toenails??? Could they be too long from sitting?

Scrambles, the only things I found besides injury is Mareks, vitamin deficiency, and worms. Mareks disease has no treatment and likely you would lose some of the chicks (unless they were vaccinated), which isn't happening so unlikely as your problem. You are already treating with Vits, although I would worry about overdosing. Many recommend Poly-vi-sol, which are liquid drops for children, but only use the ones without iron. The worm thing surprised me, but apparently an acute infestation can have a sudden effect on an adult chicken. Probably wouldn't hurt to worm her if nothing else works, but seems like she would have other symptoms. (Were you the one worried about lice not too long ago? Could that cause the same problems, I wonder?)

I'm sure you've checked and felt for any possible injuries, so that leaves my own wild theory of stretched/slipped tendons from lack of exercise and sitting for so long?? (I had my own troubles after a difficult first pregnancy, so maybe a chicken mama can have problem too). If it's the case, time and rest and good care are about the only things you can do.

Are there any other symptoms? Curled feet? One sided paralysis? Are her feet warm and a good color?

Wish I knew something more to help.
hugs.gif
Hope she gets better soon!
fl.gif
She is alert and has good color. I will try the poly vi sol... NO iron. I think that it is a broody related thing. Not enough good food. I did give her lots of treats while she was on the nest. THANK YOU!!!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom