Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by okallthis4eggs, May 25, 2012.

1. luvmychicken

luvmychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2012
    Southwest Louisiana
    I had the same problem of no eggs a few weeks ago. I mixed a 10lb bag of kitten chow (40%) protein with 100 lbs of feed and now I am getting 12 to 16 eggs every day. Now the problem is to many eggs. Lol

2. okallthis4eggs

okallthis4eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Kentucky
    Temperature in the 40's this morning. I feel bad for RK Broody. If she gave each of her 11 chicks a feather to cover up with she would only have two feathers left for herself. Hope the combined body heat keeps everybody warm. Those little BR tanks probably heat up pretty good. They eat everything in sight.

3. Reina Rana

Reina Rana Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2013
    North Mississippi
    Sully, she is a Speckled Sussex. Way too much white for SOP, but we love her that way. She had a hatch mate that was very closeoto perfect SOP that wandered off into the woods one day during range time and never came back. Lacey is the biggest ham....if she sees my phone out she comes buzzing across the yard to make sure she gets seen!

4. SullyD

SullyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    Southwest, FL
    Speckled Sussex, might have to add one (or two) of those to the flock!

I am thinking protein may be the issue as well, but so far I have done everything organic and adding kitten chow will mess that up unless I can find some organic kitten food. I did add a bit more scratch to the FF for the morning treat and some live mealies. These eggs are going to be $75 a dozen at the rate I am going!

Stupid question: Why is the grower 17-18% protein, then they drop it to 16-16.5% when they are laying?? Don't they need that extra protein to lay, just like the younger ones need it to grow? I will have to read more closely the difference in ingredients between the two. Like I said before, such a learning curve! Love learning all this new stuff! Can't wait to get the goats [​IMG]

5. cheeka

cheeka Shutter Bug

Jul 1, 2012
    Greeley, Colorado
    Sully, you can feed the chickens fish to boost protein organically... just not too much as I hear it will change the taste of the eggs, but I do feed my gang tilapia, I buy the big bag of frozen fillets at WalMart... they get about half, I get the other... I usually take 1 fillet and boil it, then mix it into a big bucket of feed and seeds, which then gets divvied up among all 37 birds.

they got shrimp yesterday - I took a bag out of the freezer, let it thaw, and forgot about it. so it sat out all day Thursday, and all night... I found it in the morning. but the gang loved them - except for Archie and Sirus, they didn't touch theirs... so I tossed it to the little guys who wasted no time eating it up.

6. cheeka

cheeka Shutter Bug

Jul 1, 2012
    Greeley, Colorado
    [​IMG]
    Mylee: "Oh Omi! I'm a silly goose! I thought that was a pineapple! That's Tommy, yeah... of course it is Tommy!"

6 Eggs today

7. SullyD

Apr 13, 2013
    Southwest, FL
    Kinda looks like a pineapple! Kids say the darndest things!

8. cheeka

cheeka Shutter Bug

Jul 1, 2012
    Greeley, Colorado
    my handyman came up this evening so we could complete step 1 of the counter top conversion project - it needs to dry for at least 12 hours before step 2, this way... it can dry overnight and I won't need to avoid it... he'll come up and seal it tomorrow. it looks amazing!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. SullyD

Apr 13, 2013
    Southwest, FL
    Cheeka-Looks awesome! Did you take the before pictures too? You are not going to want to leave this house! At least when you find your new one you will know how to make any changes!

10. SullyD

Apr 13, 2013
    Southwest, FL
    W4W-did you provide a link in an earlier post that you said you checked as often as you check this site? If so, can you give it to me again. For some reason it didn't print on the recipe I printed from the site. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by