Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by okallthis4eggs, May 25, 2012.

1. cheeka

cheeka Shutter Bug

Jul 1, 2012
    Greeley, Colorado
    goodness gracious look at the little piranhas! so cute! I use a rake and a wheel barrow to move clippings... I'd fill a bag in one strip of lawn.

at last check, I only had 6 Eggs for the day - it was fairly pleasant out for people, but not nice for chickens, tho' they'd debate that loudly... too cloudy, smelled like fox.

2. okallthis4eggs

okallthis4eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Kentucky
    Looks like I might lose one of my laying hens. My smaller BO has lost her ability to stand or walk. I don't know what is wrong with her. She eats and drinks. She even laid a egg yesterday. I placed her in a nest box with plenty of hay and she seems fine. She just can't stand or walk. Stays where ever I sit her and does not move. A little while ago I checked on her to see if there was any poop in the nest and in fact there was a large pile/ball that looked perfectly normal in color. Rather large but I expect she held it as long as she could. Other than the fact that she can't stand or walk everything looks normal about her. Checked the vent and no problem there that I could tell by looking. It has been a gradual process. Been limping for a while. She is prone to hurting herself and has had walking problems before but she always got better. This time it seemed to progress to get worse until she can't use her legs at all. She don't look to be in pain in fact she appears normal just sitting there. I have her in a nest box with food and water. I put hardware cloth across the front of it so she would not be bothered by the other birds. Everybody else in the flock seems perfectly normal and no problems. Any ideas?

3. cheeka

cheeka Shutter Bug

Jul 1, 2012
    Greeley, Colorado
    oh no OK, that's such a bummer. think there might have been a funky mushroom in the clippings?

4. okallthis4eggs

Apr 28, 2012
    Kentucky
    It has been a gradual process over 4 to 5 days until she can't walk at all. Could have been I suppose if a mushroom could cause those type of symptoms. I don't know. Thanks for the idea.

5. okallthis4eggs

Apr 28, 2012
    Kentucky
    I have been picking her up off the floor of the coop in the evening and placing her on the roost with the other birds. I return in the morning before it gets daylight and sit her back on the floor. Didn't want her flying off the roost till she healed and making her situation worse. She was going about her business limping around and I figured she would get better. She always has. But not this time it got worse.

6. okallthis4eggs

Apr 28, 2012
    Kentucky
    I just took her some bread. She ate a half of a slice of bread. She was eating scratch earlier. Drinking water too. Roger is trying to get the hardware cloth off of the front of the nest box to get to her goodies.

7. cheeka

cheeka Shutter Bug

Jul 1, 2012
    Greeley, Colorado
    [​IMG] sorry my friend, I do hope she pulls off another recovery... at least she doesn't seem to be suffering outwardly, and she's getting the best care.

8. okallthis4eggs

Apr 28, 2012
    Kentucky
    Thanks cheeka. I guess it is wait and see. I am convinced she is not in pain. She may snap out of it. But I won't let her suffer if her condition gets worse. I will do what I can for her. She is Rogers little hell raising buddy. Very vocal when she is well.

9. SullyD

SullyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    Southwest, FL
    OK-have you checked her feet for bumble foot? or any foreign object in it? I know horses are no where near chickens in the scheme of life, but they can get an abscess very easily and it is very difficult to tell what is going on until the abscess breaks through the hoof. But, they are broken leg, dead lame on it! Might be worth putting her under a bright light and taking a look with a magnifying glass or something.

10. SullyD

SullyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    Southwest, FL
    Cheeka-Love the counter top photos. Although I can't understand why you would want to cover the orange counter tops [​IMG] Did you get the rest of the project done? How did they turn out? I have heard really good things about that product. Make sure you seal your cork floors (when you get them!), I hear they can be very porous.

Ok-those little babies are loving that good green grass! I just started letting my little ones out of the pen and they just love the grass!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by