Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

OK-have you checked her feet for bumble foot? or any foreign object in it? I know horses are no where near chickens in the scheme of life, but they can get an abscess very easily and it is very difficult to tell what is going on until the abscess breaks through the hoof. But, they are broken leg, dead lame on it! Might be worth putting her under a bright light and taking a look with a magnifying glass or something.

I will take a better look at her feet in the morning SullyD. I picked her up and turned her every which way trying to see if I could find anything. Didn't really focus on her feet but I will check that early in the morning. I was more looking for broken bones so I felt her leg bones up and down on both sides. Couldn't feel anything broken or dislocated. Felt of her thighs and still nothing I could tell was out of place. That has me wondering now if she might have something stuck in her foot. When she lands hard on it (like flying down from the roost) it causes it to flare up again. Or bumble foot as you suggest. Would explain the ongoing problem and her limping. Great idea I will let you know after I check her feet tomorrow. Thank you for the idea.

Cheeka-Love the counter top photos. Although I can't understand why you would want to cover the orange counter tops
big_smile.png
Did you get the rest of the project done? How did they turn out? I have heard really good things about that product. Make sure you seal your cork floors (when you get them!), I hear they can be very porous.

Ok-those little babies are loving that good green grass! I just started letting my little ones out of the pen and they just love the grass!

A bag of grass and leaves with scratch mixed in it is like Christmas morning for chickens. It had me laughing watching broody mom and all eleven of those chicks scratching as fast as they could go. They get so excited finding scratch in the clippings. So I have Christmas every day here for the chicks

Now here is another thing I like to do to keep them busy. If you raise mealworms take a sandwich size zip lock bag and fill it half full of scratch. Put some meal worms in the bag with the scratch. I like to use 20 to 30 mealworms. Zip the bag shut. Hang the bag by one corner of the bag in your run or coop with a piece of string or wire where the chickens can't reach it. Then tear a hole in the corner that is on the bottom about the diameter of a pencil so scratch and occasionally a meal worm can drop out. The meal worms crawling around in the scratch cause it to leak out of the hole slowly and eventually the meal worms fall out too. Keeps them busy for a few hours and they love the anticipation of what will fall out next.

Sully - oh yes, it's finished! and it looks amazing! Handyman came up late this morning, sanded everything down, then retouched thin spots, dry time, 4 hours. then he came back around 6 this evening to sand again, and clear coat. it's fabulous - and I do have a few pics, but there not that great and the plastic sheeting is still up and tape everywhere... tomorrow will be better photos... but here's what I have

I'm standing where the stove is supposed to be... handyman doesn't want me to get him in the pictures... it's limiting...so I'm better off taking new pics tomorrow...

Shew we have had a very busy weekend! Hubby has been working on building a work shop building for the past few weekends, and we got the framing up and about half of the board siding up. He is using reclaimed pallet wood and it is looking really good. This is the same thing that he built my chicken coop out of. I tried to be a good wife and help out! I did pretty well for several hours but as I got tired, my aim with the hammer got pretty crappy and I mashed the crap out of my thumb. Bled and everything!

Anyway, on to the chickens! I let the new girls out this morning for the first time. Everyone was out and then this evening everyone went into the big coop, so I guess that is that. I was going to keep them separated for a few more weeks, but I am really needing to get Clarabelle and the chicks out of the big coop, and I just don't have space to keep everyone separate. So I am hoping that nothing comes up! I plan to clean out the little coop tomorrow and put in new bedding and work on some kind of nesting box. I will hopefully get Clarabelle and the chicks moved tomorrow, and they won't be as stressed being in the big coop with the others, even though we do have the nesting boxes sectioned off. I will try to get pictures of the babies tomorrow! They are already getting feathers on their wings. It is hard to believe they are already a week old (the oldest ones and the Marans anyway.)

I was amazed tonight when one of the "brooder babies" ( I really need to figure out what else to call them!) came up to me and jumped up on the fence for me to get her. I am not sure what kind she is and she is usually really flighty! It was a treat to be able to pick her up and cuddle for a little bit! I think the new changes in the coop was a little overwhelming for her, as she is the bottom in the pecking order. I guess she just needed some reassurance from the chicken mama (as hubby calls me)! It was crazy as everyone was fighting for the prime roosting spots with the new addition of Edith and Ethel. ( the older BLRW's)

Any idea what kind she is? Clean legs and they are blackish/blue. Her eyes are dark too.

And here is a picture of the kids and the dogs with the chickens in the background!

OK-That sounds like chicken torture! I am surprised they don't try to fly up and help the process along! Must be very entertaining to watch them!

Lindz-No clue on the chicken, but very pretty! Laying yet? What color eggs? Great pictures of the kids, dogs, chickens.....Your son will have his hands full in a few years. Keeping his friends away from his pretty sisters, although the black dog may take care of it!!

Cheeka-counters came out awesome! How long before you can use them? Is there a curing period? Can't wait to see the pictures when all the tape and plastic is off.

Its been so crazy here. miss you all! cheeka the renovations are awesome.
OK, hope all is well with your foot problem on the hen..
Have had a long busy weekend and lost a piglet. Poor babies had the scours.
Saved 3 of the 4, started meds when I realized the problem. what I get from buying livestock from someone i don't know.
My friend that got the other 2 piglets has lost one of hers from staff. Feel like we need to go after this guy!
Wont' be doing that again, going forward will breed and raise my own.
My girls are still not laying well. 1 duck, 3 hen and 2 quail eggs today. Really believe its the weather changes.
Summer is over here, planning for winter, and reducing my flock daily, lots of roosters going away or to the freezer.

counters can be touched this morning, but I shouldn't put anything too heavy on them for another day... it looks great, but I can see a few spots where he sanded too close, and the orange is peeking through....

OK, I was remembering from about a month ago, Olive had a bad limp, that got worse when she would come down from the roost, then one day I saw another chicken (Morgana) jump on her hard, drag her down by her neck feathers and stomp on her... I tried to put her back with Peach after that, but she wouldn't stay there... anyway... her limp got so bad, she stopped walking for a week or so... she would stay on the ground inside the coop during free range, tucked into a safe corner usually... her foot was clear, her leg felt good... and she was eating, drinking, trying to bathe... but that left leg... had me so worried, then it cleared up. I knew she took that bullying, which made it much worse, but I'm not sure how it happened in the first place... and it's never happened since... Maybe little BO took a beating during one of her and Roger's escapades? an old injury that keeps getting aggravated? it'll be interesting to hear from you about what the bottom of her foot looks like...

Back
Top Bottom