Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

gorgeous OK! love the Delaware boy, he's very handsome! the RIR too, but I think he should be darker... but he's got a nice shape! I've got Ruby on one side of my lap and Hershey the cat laying across my lap and on one arm, the keyboard is propped on my knees... I can't do much maneuvering to get to the mouse to bitty up little roger's name! grrr... if I throw him down, he'll just hop back on and drool on me for good measure...
little roger is a beauty as well! and the chicks... i love them... they are just adorable.
I think I know what to look for in the Heritage BR's......or do I?

Sounds like everyone had a decent day! I had to run some errands today, so Hubby left me the truck and took the van. Left the house and the brakes went out on the truck, didn't have any brake fluid. Put some in and it just ran out and I was about 30 minutes from home with 2 babies and 2 at school and had to be here to get them off the bus!... It was definately an interesting day. Hubby came home early and found a hole in the brake line where all the fluid was going.

Anyway, on the chicken front it was a quiet day. It was still drama central at roost time though.

....and the nurses watching over her.
Yes, because they care so much... . . . for her food!

Your RIRs and Del boy look great. They might not win best of show, but are definitely not hatchery birds, so I think heritage is a fair label. How is Little Roger's personality? Has she taken after her namesake? It will be interesting to see how the little chicks compare when they get older. You have a coop full of classic American chickens! What's next? Wyandottes are an American breed.
big_smile.png

I have some beautiful slw you can have, OK. The are great escape...errr...independent forage artists! Especially Thelma...she's so fat...she may give Rogera run for her PIE money!

Sirus lost a spur. blood everywhere. it was quite dramatic... the spur was dangling by a bit of flesh, and it was dripdripdripdripping one bright red drop after another... I got him, wrapped his foot in a wad of paper towels, sent Mylee for her Oma and the handyman to come help. she did really well - they came fast. handyman took a blade and swiftly cut off the bit of flesh holding the spur on - I was ready to throw up/pass out so I didn't have him save it for photos... which is a shame, most of the time I have a really strong stomach for that stuff... don't know why I was so woozy... but I suspect it was fear that Si might bleed to death in my arms... it was bad. but I got it to slow down, and eventually stop. he needs to be cleaned up and treated before dark, but he was happily roosterin' for the rest of free range. I got great photos of the flock, first beautiful day in over a week... it was really nice to have everyone out.

Sirus lost a spur. blood everywhere. it was quite dramatic... the spur was dangling by a bit of flesh, and it was dripdripdripdripping one bright red drop after another... I got him, wrapped his foot in a wad of paper towels, sent Mylee for her Oma and the handyman to come help. she did really well - they came fast. handyman took a blade and swiftly cut off the bit of flesh holding the spur on - I was ready to throw up/pass out so I didn't have him save it for photos... which is a shame, most of the time I have a really strong stomach for that stuff... don't know why I was so woozy... but I suspect it was fear that Si might bleed to death in my arms... it was bad. but I got it to slow down, and eventually stop. he needs to be cleaned up and treated before dark, but he was happily roosterin' for the rest of free range. I got great photos of the flock, first beautiful day in over a week... it was really nice to have everyone out.
I bet he will be fine. There was a flock of wild turkeys around here a few years ago and the one that always followed in the rear only had one leg. Slower than the rest of them but was still able to keep up hopping on one leg. I would wrap it up to stop the bleeding and to keep anybody from picking at it

I have some beautiful slw you can have, OK. The are great escape...errr...independent forage artists! Especially Thelma...she's so fat...she may give Rogera run for her PIE money!

Thats nice of you to offer them. In turn you would have to take some of these little BR's from me. I bet you are saying no way now.
lau.gif
Thelma
would have to run pretty fast to beat Roger to a pie. I can turn on the light in that coop at 3 am in the morning and there will be a black chicken fly straight into the wall....bounce off the wall and hit the floor running full speed out the door to the run, in the dark, where the scratch has been spread on the ground. And then she stands there in the dark because it is too dark to see the ground. No doubt one of these morning she will break her neck and run out the door dragging her head. It is totally insane. I have never in my life seen a animal of any kind, act so stupid over food. I think you BR owner can relate to a degree

Quote:
Thanks W4W. If you remember Little Roger got dumped by her mother walking incubator and was raised by big broody. She has turned out to be a fine little lady. She should start laying soon. She doesn't speak to or acknowledge the devil. She still likes to roost next to big broody. Roger hangs out with the trash at the other end of the coop......or at the hospital hoping she can rob somebody who is disabled. Really I missed one? ...and they are called Whyidonts?....or is it Whydonti ? 6...to 8....to 11.....to 22 plus a couple = a few. I will seriously think about it.

Si's fine, and because he only lives with Archie, I don't have to worry much. they get along really well. I just have to keep it clean enough to keep it from becoming infected. but it was really bloody, soaked up about 4 paper towels with what looked like arterial blood. took over a half hour to slow down and another half hour to stop. he was good about laying in my arms for the first 40 minutes... I wouldn't let him go til I was sure it was near stopping... and then his running around and digging only delayed that a bit...
6 Eggs today and some kitchen pics... it wouldn't be my kitchen if there weren't dishes piled in the sink... and all the stuff that goes on the counters is piled on the table, so I left that mess out.

Just to let everybody know little BO is still in the hospital and still not able to walk. My dad cleaned her nest tonight and put fresh hay in her box. She is still eating good and it did look like she might have tried to stand just a little but not sure. I have held a constant vigil beside her nest. I told dad to give her my meal worms in hope that it would make her better. On the other hand if she dies I get all of her food.

Back
Top Bottom