Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

still no clue if it's pullet or cockerel... but it's nearing 6 weeks of age, and Peach is acting like she'd like to lay an egg... speaking of eggs, we broke one... so Mylee brought it out and gave it to the girls, but she sprinkled millet seeds on top first... the first hen to stick her beak in, came up with millet seeds stuck all over her entire beak... it was pretty funny... I'll have to set that up for a repeat so I can get pictures. and if I want to get Mylee on her bike riding shotgun with a bird or two... that will also have to be staged, they won't go near her bike... they have to go home in a week... I'm already gettin' sad... this was a nice long visit and I got spoiled.
2665.png
it! I am leaning toward pullet for some reason. Just doesn't seem upright enough for a roo to me. But what do I know. Boo for Mylee leaving soon..... I could ship you one of mine for a week at a time and rotate! That would get you through a month! Lol;-)

BRs aren't the only gluttons! When I went down to close up last night, these guys had crops bigger than their heads! Hoping it is fairly warm this weekend so I can let Clarabelle and the chicks out for the first time!

lindz, golly they are darling! they look absolutely perfect... I hope you get to let them out too, it is so much fun to watch them get their first grasses... and if Mama is lucky enough to dig up a fat grub or something juicy to share with her babies, it's the coolest!

lindz, golly they are darling! they look absolutely perfect... I hope you get to let them out too, it is so much fun to watch them get their first grasses... and if Mama is lucky enough to dig up a fat grub or something juicy to share with her babies, it's the coolest!
Thanks cheeka! I can't wait to watch them go crazy over the "outside"!

Wilma got a frog today, Mylee was trying to catch it... the look on her face was priceless when she asked me why Wilma ate it.
it was yet another perfectly lovely day, not a cloud in the sky. free range time was fun, if a bit short... I'm pooped, and the gang was ready, they all came in easily or I might have let them stay out a bit longer and made a cup of coffee... I'm still digging out the dome, it's whooping me... but it's about 70% done. all the dirt I've removed has been dumped in the store bought coop to fill in the floor turned dust bath... and spread all around the outside of the dome to fill in all their bath spots there as well... it's all nice and level, so today's dirt got hauled to the garden's edge, after my last harvest, I can mulch it all in and cover it for the season... the rest got dumped at the edge of the woods. nearby enough to use, but out of the way... it will probably take me 2 more days to finish. the extra dirt in the store bought coop is essential - they dig so much they compromise their security... and now it's extra deep with super dark, nutrient rich soil that they made over this past year... the top layer is a bit dense, but underneath it's incredible... next year's garden should be insane.

only 5 Eggs so far, and all of them blue.

finished the day with 6 Eggs, the final egg was pink.

there's a second stick horse stabled by the little girl, it's a dragon, which was hers to bring home to keep, a gift from Mylee... it was so cute... I have to save a pic or 2 from fb of the girls riding... and there are a couple of cute pics of the little one in the dome with me... she was afraid of the chickens, but Very Brave about exploring. I had a really good time.

Si's foot is fine, he still hasn't finished feathering in from his molt, but he's looking good and well covered

in other news..........little BO is still not walking but is trying. Falls forward when she tries to walk. She is still in the hospital. I found Roger flat on her back inside the coop with her feet in the air. I told her to get her a.. outside and she did. She will do anything for special treatment.
barnie.gif
The chicks are doing great. Cheeka was right about RK Broody's feathers. The feathers are growing like crazy. I need to get pictures of her progress. I am amazed. Heard one of the boys crowing this morning. Will get pictures this weekend.

in other news..........little BO is still not walking but is trying. Falls forward when she tries to walk. She is still in the hospital. I found Roger flat on her back inside the coop with her feet in the air. I told her to get her a.. outside and she did. She will do anything for special treatment.
barnie.gif
The chicks are doing great. Cheeka was right about RK Broody's feathers. The feathers are growing like crazy. I need to get pictures of her progress. I am amazed. Heard one of the boys crowing this morning. Will get pictures this weekend.

I have been reading another guy's thread about his chicken keeping adventure.... He went through a case of Marek's early on.... Do you think it could possibly be that?
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom