Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Its finally stopped here. We got over six inches of rain!
ty lindz hope you dont get all this rain.

It rained til about lunchtime yesterday and then turned into a beautiful day! The sunset was AMAZING! It is supposed to start raining again tomorrow I think though.... Today is my oldest daughter's birthday... it is so hard to believe that she is 7 years old! One of the best days of my life!

lindz, please wish your DD a very Happy Birthday! 7 is a wonderful age, the beginning of true human intellectualism paired with childhood innocence. I hope she had the most wonderful year!

the curtains here glowed super orange at sunset, but I was so busy I didn't even peek out to see, as I had left the camera in the car... and didn't want to be tempted to distraction. I'm behind on chores.
no one has come to see the house except realty people. it's not my style to pick up after myself constantly... always to have an empty kitchen sink and a made bed - although, since Chester... I've been better about making my bed. he likes to get back in there after breakfast... he makes it smell like corn chips.

it's going to be gorgeous weather for the rest of the week, mid 60's and sunny... so glad! the gang hasn't been out for days.

Janet, if any of my LF boys were mean it would make my decision so much easier. only Royce is graceful while mating... but the others are at least not as brutal as what your girls have to deal with. wonder why the pecking after is happening - sign of dominance? some of my hens will peck at another hen right after she's been mated... as if she is too lowly to be given attention... one thing I learned, I can't leave more than one LF rooster out at the same time. they double team and then it's more rough. for as long as it takes to regrow feathers... I'm not willing to put them through that again...

Cheeka I will tell her when she gets home! She is already so mature it is easy to forget that she is only 7.
With 6 people living in one house it always looks like a tornado came through! I can't keep up! Lol.

Peach actually likes the new girls! they live next door to each other... actually, they share a chain link wall... the new girls are quite shy and didn't want to head right out with Peach as she was trying to introduce them to the yard and the lilac...

talk about a tight knit group! it was several minutes before they let an inch of sunshine come between them...

they did very well, and put themselves away... so funny! they are just beautiful, and hopefully as the days pass, I will be able to get better pictures...

it was a perfect day! those riders are my friends... lucky ladies!

oh yeah... 5 Eggs including 1 from Peach

eta, woke from a much needed nap - it wasn't dark yet, so I made the circuit to check on everyone... found one more egg in the middle of the dome. so... 6

I should have run back out with the camera - Peach and her 3 larger chicks were all roosting together on the post that slides across the top of their pen - it's not a "roost", it's to prevent a total collapse should the roof become saggy with rain or eventually snow... I have a central pole that holds the wire and tarp roof above that... all 4 of them way up there... and little Sillie Silkie all alone in the nest. poor baby... I put a really low roost in there just in case... guess she's not interested, or no one wanted to roost that low to keep her warm.

Last edited:
Peach actually likes the new girls! they live next door to each other... actually, they share a chain link wall... the new girls are quite shy and didn't want to head right out with Peach as she was trying to introduce them to the yard and the lilac...

talk about a tight knit group! it was several minutes before they let an inch of sunshine come between them...

they did very well, and put themselves away... so funny! they are just beautiful, and hopefully as the days pass, I will be able to get better pictures...

it was a perfect day! those riders are my friends... lucky ladies!

Great pictures and beautiful country. Looks a lot like Kentucky in those pictures.

Alrighty, I promised some new pictures of the babies! Here ya go! Everyone seems to be doing ok with the cocci treatment, and I didn't see anymore blood today! I am thinking we are at a 2:5 ratio of pullets:cockerels....
barnie.gif

I have a question.......Now that the Delaware rooster is gone and I only have a RIR rooster.......and Roger is a Barred Rock.......If I hatch her eggs would they be called "Rhode Island Roger's"

Fruit Loop, my bantam mutt, is thinking about going broody again! Went into the coop to get eggs and she was pancaked down in a box.

I know fall isn't ideal for hatching because of weather and humidity, but I live in Texas. Near a bunch of water. Humidity is often atleast 50%+. Should I let her hatch some? Or buy some one day olds? (Provided she sticks to it, today is only day one.)

Back
Top Bottom