Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

At Last eggs:

On Sunday I decided enough is enough.
Shop bought eggs are rubbery and tough.
My current hens have all gone off the lay,
despite being pampered with mealworms and hay.

So I took my egg money and got me two girls.
They are Henny and Penny and come with no frills
The are ex-battery hens with no feathers and toes
but it won't be long before beauty shows

But the best part, was next day
when I peeped, on the hay
lay a most anticipated surprise
it was smooth and beige and the most incredible size

I will look after you chooks,
despite your odd looks
May the rest of your days be filled with peace and rest
you will be provided with only the best.

Henny, before she could stand on her own and walk.
You did a wonderful thing for these girls. They will reward you with eggs... Give lots of love and don't forget the PIE!!

It's too cold for them to spend more than maybe an hour outside. Today when I took them out it wasn't quite 40 degrees. They liked it though. Their garage brooder is all set for them. It's 70 degrees which is warmer than their inside one has been the last few days.

mortie, your babies will be fine. they've got some feathers now, they can really handle some lower temperatures... I promise.

W4W, adding just one hen is tough. give it a try. or help her troubleshoot the housing at the neighbors so she can't escape...

I finished the day with 22 Eggs. it was really nice out, but still drops to mid 20's overnight. I still took a lot of the winter wrappings off the pens. they'll be fine. this should be the last week of below freezing overnights (at least I hope so!!)

At Last eggs:

On Sunday I decided enough is enough.
Shop bought eggs are rubbery and tough.
My current hens have all gone off the lay,
despite being pampered with mealworms and hay.

So I took my egg money and got me two girls.
They are Henny and Penny and come with no frills
The are ex-battery hens with no feathers and toes
but it won't be long before beauty shows

But the best part, was next day
when I peeped, on the hay
lay a most anticipated surprise
it was smooth and beige and the most incredible size

I will look after you chooks,
despite your odd looks
May the rest of your days be filled with peace and rest
you will be provided with only the best.

Henny, before she could stand on her own and walk.

Yay! I am glad you gave them a reprieve! Every time someone asks me "why keep chickens?" I want to show them pictures like this and explain that this is what happens when we dissociate ourselves from our food sources. That kind of misery just does not need to happen. I am not opposed to raising animals for food - I have bottle raised lambs and then eaten them - but torturing them in the name of efficiency and economy nauseates me.

Well, today George is out of hiding in the nest box, and the change I made (raised the lip) kept both eggs in safe and sound! Thank you for the suggestion! George is still hiding in the coop, but she is on the roost instead of hiding head first in the nest box, which seems a little less terrified. Astrid keeps chuckling to her, trying to call her out.

Patience, I am telling myself.

Go George! Caution has it's useful place in the life of a chicken; there could be a huge hawk out that door. Scary!! She'll get the idea soon. Some tempting treats might help (if the others don't bum rush her and scare her more
sad.png
). Astrid is a good boy to encourage her. Glad you got 2 unbroken eggs. Omelette time!

I put my 5 week old chicks in with my 1 year old hens in the same coop am I crazy everything ive read says to keep them seperate but after a week I have not had any problems I jst didnt have the time money or room to build a grow coop and they were stinking up my house in the brooder

oh boy I am going to get killed, yesterday at tractor supply got 6 black sex lick peeps 1 wk old, tonight went to action got 12 rir 5 wks , 11 rir 2wks and 1 odd peep plus we already have 28 hens and 2 roos. told hubby he has to fix something for the 5 wk ones, he said may just fix screen house up for now, I told him but all you have to do is put wall back up in coop, he said he will do something tomorrow when I go for my pt. we got 22 eggs today. no easter egg yet

Back
Top Bottom