Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Probably from sitting too long on eggs. My Big Broody BO was like that when she hatched eggs. She was so bad that she couldn't get back up to her eggs and I had to lift her back up to her nest box. Somebody may tell you different but I would give her a box on the floor for her chicks and her and fence the other birds out so they have a small place to be a family. You don't want her trying to fly down from anything while she is in this condition. If she can't walk the landings will become crashes and she could hurt herself. I bet she will be OK in a few days after using her legs more. The Little Crippled BO is another story. Still a mystery what happened to her but I still have her. She can walk good now but I almost put her down. I think she got hurt somehow. She spent many weeks confined to a nest box because she couldn't walk at all. I put a piece of hardware cloth over the front of the nest box so the other birds could not get to her or her food. Took her out twice a day to clean out the box. She was so bad she would roll over on her side when I sat her on the floor of the coop. I used straw to form a deep depression inside the nest box to keep her upright and from rolling over. Fed her lots of fruit and treats to keep her eating. Kept water in a heavy bowl directly in front of her and lots of food. One day she stood up and then I had hope for her. It was a slow process but she finally got where she could stand and eventually walk a few steps. It seemed like forever but she finally rejoined her flock. To this day she still roost on the floor and has never roosted with the other birds. She has a board that is about 3 inches higher than the coop floor and she stands on that all night. Never dreamed she would make it but she did.

we did not, we had a hen seating and took part of the coop fenced off with a door to get in, then we put a large box with fence on top had three sides with open side at the little door so if and when she wanted to go out she could, we just put chips on floor and she was a good mother, never saw anything like her, one day she was walking back and forth in front of big door so I opened it and she came out, later I went out and she was at the gate I opened it and she went in all the peeps came running to her, she had 13, 2 days later she was walking back and forth again so I opened the door and she moved to the door and turned around talking to her babies for a min then she walked out closed door and she never went back in, I never saw a hen talk to her babies like she did and we have had chickens for 5yrs. the cage works great

Went back to the Farmers Market this morning. Took Roger, the gallon of cooking oil, and the chicken breading. This deal was too good to pass up. For $10. you get Roger, a gallon of cooking oil, and the breading. A man jumped right on that deal and thanked me several times. As I was leaving I heard what sounded like a peacock screaming. I noticed a cage where the man was parked. The cooking oil and breading were gone. Roger and I are back home now.
he.gif
gig.gif

Scrambles, I hope it's just from being out of shape from so much sitting. vitamins are a good idea, but like you already know, too much isn't a good thing. best to find fresh foods that contain lots of healthy vitamins and minerals. pamper the heck outta her. being a broody is tough.
The girls are free ranging today, so I shut the door to the pen and opened the broody pen door. Her broody pen is about 2.5x4ft. I coaxed her out a bit and the chicks followed. I massaged her legs and thigh a bit. She seemed to like it. Tonight we are giving her a couple of drops of poly vi sol and some blue berries. Her chicks are growing fast and are fluff balls of energy. The sotre boughts are not. The other red star chick died. I was not surprised. It seemed a bit off from the day after I brought her home. She never did grow much.
Thanks for all the help and advice. I REALLY do appreciate it!!
thumbsup.gif
hugs.gif

I am on the "waiting" list for eggs...my Red Sex Links are 21-22 weeks old, been playing in the nesting boxes for two weeks, squatting for more than that, but still no eggs, even though the eat more than my teenagers! One suggestion I see on here is the "crushed or whole red peppers as a treat" as an incentive to start laying, is this real or just a farce? They already eat everything else under the sun.

frow.gif
KB
welcome-byc.gif
and to the thread! We'd love to see some pics of your girls, I'm sure they're pretty darn close to point of lay! but pics would help us help you to understand who you may have to wait longer on... I've read that too, about the red pepper flakes, not really certain how effective it is, I believe that they will lay only when their hormones are right... and waiting can be a test of our patience, but it's so worth it when you finally find your first!

Rumples had an ok day. She is very alert. I give her finely grated carrots and Zucchini. The chicks love it also. Plus... as we were breaking down the old pen, I discovered many night crawlers under the composting pine shavings. SCORE!! I gathered some up and gave then to Rumples. She was very happy and let her chicks know that these were a good thing to eat. I have been massaging her legs and she purrs when I do it, so it must feel good. I don't know if she will be okay and recover from whatever this is, but I am hopeful.
bow.gif
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom