Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

This shot has all 3 colors.

I like the color of the one on the bottom.
thumbsup.gif
It could be Lav. Did the breeder have Lavender Ameraucana? Post the pictures on "Ameraucana or EE" thread. Pips and Peeps breeds Lav Am. She would know for sure. She is also the regional Pres of the ABC.

I have a quick question. Is there anything you shouldn't feed chickens? I have heard you can give them treats and kitchen scraps. i was just wondering if there are any no no's. Also, if you give scraps do you need to grind or chop them up? Thanks in advance.

I have a quick question. Is there anything you shouldn't feed chickens? I have heard you can give them treats and kitchen scraps. i was just wondering if there are any no no's. Also, if you give scraps do you need to grind or chop them up? Thanks in advance.
I believe that there is a thread somewhere that talks about what not to feed. Like the green of a tomato or potato, eggplant. Good info there.

What I mean is I don't understand the difference between blue and lavender.
It's really just shades of gray (but not like that book that I have never read). Blue can be BBS (blue-black-splash) or there can be self blue, which looks different (all one color for all parts of the feather). Lavender is, I think?, a dilution of self blue. A lav bird will look very pale silvery gray, and evenly colored which is why I think it comes from self blue. Splash is a white feather that is overlaid with splashes of grey (aka light blk, aka blue).

Colors for chickens are complex. It's all about the genes, and there are a lot of them involved. The way I understand it, there is a base color (silver which is blk&white, or gold, and there are probably others) and then colors are added over the base color. Some genes are dominant and cover/hide other colors, some genes are recessive (the ones that get hidden), there are incomplete versions of both of dom-recessive (such as blue-black-splash), and some genes dilute colors. Patterns are a whole 'nother thing.

Since your chicks are BBS, I don't think you will have lavender. Of course people make all sorts of crosses, so you never know, but this info is what I've gleaned from dedicated breeders on my local thread. If anyone has managed to read this far, please know that I could be wrong about any or all of this, as I am working from memory and it has already been demonstrated today that my memory is sad pathetic unreliable.
tongue.png

It's really just shades of gray (but not like that book that I have never read). Blue can be BBS (blue-black-splash) or there can be self blue, which looks different (all one color for all parts of the feather). Lavender is, I think?, a dilution of self blue. A lav bird will look very pale silvery gray, and evenly colored which is why I think it comes from self blue. Splash is a white feather that is overlaid with splashes of grey (aka light blk, aka blue).

Colors for chickens are complex. It's all about the genes, and there are a lot of them involved. The way I understand it, there is a base color (silver which is blk&white, or gold, and there are probably others) and then colors are added over the base color. Some genes are dominant and cover/hide other colors, some genes are recessive (the ones that get hidden), there are incomplete versions of both of dom-recessive (such as blue-black-splash), and some genes dilute colors. Patterns are a whole 'nother thing.

Since your chicks are BBS, I don't think you will have lavender. Of course people make all sorts of crosses, so you never know, but this info is what I've gleaned from dedicated breeders on my local thread. If anyone has managed to read this far, please know that I could be wrong about any or all of this, as I am working from memory and it has already been demonstrated today that my memory is sad pathetic unreliable.
tongue.png
As is mine.....
gig.gif

So, went to close up the girls and collects eggs. And guess who was sitting on eggs?!? Rocky......my BR. Ugh. Geesh. Poser. Lifted her up to see what she was on. She was easily persuaded off her future minions.

Back
Top Bottom