Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

something is going on with my chickens, fri i went to clean yard and coop i found a dead chicken under the camper, today i went out and was cutting the grass gave chickens some of it, happened to look at the wheel and laying there was a chicken, i went over to check it, it was dead, it was alive last night, i am not sure what is going on hubbie checked it and no marks on it still had all feathers, nothing was eating it. god i hope we don't have a bad thing going on with them, we lost one whole flock once a couple years ago, we moved the yard and got new coop for them things have been going good for 3 yrs.

[COLOR=333333]something is going on with my chickens, fri i went to clean yard and coop i found a dead chicken under the camper, today i went out and was cutting the grass gave chickens some of it, happened to look at the wheel and laying there was a chicken, i went over to check it, it was dead, it was alive last night, i am not sure what is going on hubbie checked it and no marks on it still had all feathers, nothing was eating it. god i hope we don't have a bad thing going on with them, we lost one whole flock once a couple years ago, we moved the yard and got new coop for them things have been going good for 3 yrs.[/COLOR]

I hate that for you! I hope it's isolated. Is there a lab that you can send it to? I think Ga has one. My friend lost some birds to moldy food. Somehow water got down in the feeder. Looked fine up top, but the bottom was a different story.

Last edited:
something is going on with my chickens, fri i went to clean yard and coop i found a dead chicken under the camper, today i went out and was cutting the grass gave chickens some of it, happened to look at the wheel and laying there was a chicken, i went over to check it, it was dead, it was alive last night, i am not sure what is going on hubbie checked it and no marks on it still had all feathers, nothing was eating it. god i hope we don't have a bad thing going on with them, we lost one whole flock once a couple years ago, we moved the yard and got new coop for them things have been going good for 3 yrs.

Oh, that doesn't sound good. One you could put down to some tumor type thingy or internal laying, but two so close together is scary. Check for those nasty mites at night (I always think about those because I hate them!). The advice to send in for a necropsy is good. Check your local ag office. Hope the rest stay healthy. Watch them tomorrow and see if any are unusually still or have feathers puffed out. It's hard to see any ones that are sick until they get really bad.

they have no symptoms? No nasal discharge, bubbles in the eyes? Are they laying eggs?

You do live in an area that has Northern fowl mites--That will kill chickens. Most states have a free necropsy program for small flocks. Check to see if you have one in Delaware. It is great for letting you know what killed the chickens.

hugs.gif
I am sorry you are losing them!

Last edited:
More chicken drama!

I went home for lunch today, and found my youngest EE dead. She was 15 mo. old. Didn't see signs of predators or mites. Might have drowned, as it has rained a lot here.

RIP Happy Feet

Sorry about Happy Feet.
sad.png
I have a soft spot for EEs and she was very pretty. Prime laying time too.

My Leghorn is still not doing well. She's keeping up with the mob, but if you know her you can see the signs- her big floppy comb is a bit droopy and ever so slightly blue, she walks instead of runs, rests when the others are preening or bathing, doesn't chase everyone off the food, and this week has started sleeping in the nest box. Something is wrong, but I don't know what. I actually wouldn't mind finding her dead, because I'm struggling with the idea of putting her down. She doesn't seem to be suffering, just very tired, so I'm still in wait-and-see mode.

Sorry about Happy Feet.
sad.png
I have a soft spot for EEs and she was very pretty. Prime laying time too.

My Leghorn is still not doing well. She's keeping up with the mob, but if you know her you can see the signs- her big floppy comb is a bit droopy and ever so slightly blue, she walks instead of runs, rests when the others are preening or bathing, doesn't chase everyone off the food, and this week has started sleeping in the nest box. Something is wrong, but I don't know what. I actually wouldn't mind finding her dead, because I'm struggling with the idea of putting her down. She doesn't seem to be suffering, just very tired, so I'm still in wait-and-see mode.
It sounds like a cardiovascular issue.

Back
Top Bottom