Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Still no eggs yet but ONE OF MY ORPINGTONS AND MY BARRED ROCK STARTED SQUATTING TODAY!!!! :weee :celebrate :ya :yesss:

One Australorp, the Barred Rock, and one or two Orpingtons, and I think possibly the Easter Eggers combs and wattles have been very red for while too and the Australorps have been eating the oyster shell for a couple weeks plus I saw an Orpington check out a nest boxt today and i know others have because every time I go out there are fake eggs kicked out of the box and today there were almost no shavings in one. May need to add a lip. Last week I took out all the fake eggs except one in each box. The bag came with 10 so I had put 3 in two and 4 in one and my dad thought there wasnt enough room to lay their eggs or they didn't like it cause there'd always be at least 3 or 4 eggs punted across the coop LOL so now there is one in each box and theres 3 boxes. One was still out this morning though. But hopefully they lay soon!!!!

Last edited:
Such a nice day, yesterday, I finally put the Serama chicks out. They were suspicious at first, but had a good time.

We also had a little photo shoot! 2 silkied cockerels.

Bueno Calvin

The only 2 pullets.
hit.gif
One silkie, one smooth. Not really named yet.

the black one and #6

2 smooth boys.

Friendly Dali (was supposed to be Dolly!
hit.gif
)

Yeah, he was the last to develop and was a super tiny chick. I think it took awhile for him to catch up. His comb is not as big as the other boys and no wattles, but it is pink (doesn't show in the pics) and he acts real boyish. The pullets don't get any comb growth for 12-16 weeks.

Really wanted him to be a girl. Can't wait to see adult plumage, though. Could be a looker!

Yeah, he was the last to develop and was a super tiny chick. I think it took awhile for him to catch up. His comb is not as big as the other boys and no wattles, but it is pink (doesn't show in the pics) and he acts real boyish. The pullets don't get any comb growth for 12-16 weeks. Really wanted him to be a girl. Can't wait to see adult plumage, though. Could be a looker!
Ahhh okay that makes sense then! Sorry you got so many boys then :( Although does it depend on breed or? Because my barred rock always had a bigger comb even at a few days old and then it didn't really grow but eventually did and the others grew too but slower and I don't know exactly when it grew in but they've been outside aince 7 weeks and hers was pretty big then. I don't know, I guesz what I'm saying is some breeds I think have bigger combs or develop sooner than 12-16 weeks. But maybe for some of the harder to tell breeds it becomes real clear then? Or maybe most don't grow so fast. Mine are about 20 weeks now i think. And I know she's a girl because she just started squatting lol but your little boys are cute and I hope they grow up handsome and stay gentle

Whew.... its been a long week. Another technician was fired on Tuesday. That leaves the boss, me and the office gal. The boss commented "Im glad that i never have to do that again". I replied, "Ya, me too". He chuckled and said, "Dont worry. .. i cant do this without you". Whew.

I am putting in a raised bed garden this Spring and was worried about the cost of dirt. I happed to be looking at a Costco mag and in it was a short article about straw bale gardening. Woohoo! ! Its the perfect solution. Straw bales are cheap. Hold water, no weeds, no dirt. I got so excited. :celebrate . :weee.. :ya now, Im pooped out. Darn Fibro. :th

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom