Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

I would buy more eggs. Usually chickens don't start laying until they're 20-24 weeks old.
lol.png
Thanks for sharing and welcome to the thread!
big_smile.png

omg, busy this morning... trash day, all the animals cared for already, load of laundry done, clean dishes put away... paperwork waiting by the door. nervous, but trying to be brave. leaving at 9:30.
I'll be thinking of you. Hope you get some answers.
hugs.gif

Hello all, I haven't been online in a while. The main reason is that on the Friday before last, Babs died. She was 4 and a half years old, which is a good age for a hen rescued from a battery farm. She was the first hen that I ever got, three years ago, and, I'll be honest, she was my favourite hen.

She died of old age. Which somehow makes it even more bittersweet, she is the first hen I have had to die of old age and not a predator. In that way, I am glad slightly because I know we gave her the best life we could.

I came home on Thursday to find her in the coop, lying down, struggling to breathe. I cuddled her and went to be expecting her to be gone by morning. She had gotten worse but was still alive. She wouldn't eat or drink. I decided to go and telephone the vet, to see if it was worth euthanising her rather than prolong her suffering. By the time I had returned, she was gone.

Out of all of the chickens I have had, she was my favourite and I will miss her.

Rest in Peace, Babs.

The first photo I have of her

And the last.

I have not read the thread in a couple of weeks, I will catch up.

Out of all of the chickens I have had, she was my favourite and I will miss her.

Rest in Peace, Babs.

The first photo I have of her

And the last.

I have not read the thread in a couple of weeks, I will catch up.
Sorry to hear about your Babs, Min.
hugs.gif
I'm glad that she had a taste of the good life with you.

hugs.gif
hugs Min, I'm sorry for your loss, you did right by Babs, and gave her the best life she could have ever had!

I got nowhere today. my records were not received although they were mailed last week. she was thorough, but has no answers. said I looked malnourished and anorexic. I'm peeved. to say the least.
I brought my MRI discs and she thinks they were poorly done. either I return for a full workup or I go to the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, which is what my father would prefer and has made clear that I am to call in the morning. I should not have to fight so hard for myself, my doctors should be doing more.

on a happier note, Oma and Mylee left this afternoon and are already through Oklahoma City! they left a day early!

Sorry cheeka. Another disappointment.
hmm.png
Mayo clinic is sounding pretty good at this point. Mylee a day early is good!
wee.gif

I have a question about broody behavior. I have Buster and the chicks inside the run in a cage with a small dog kennel for a nest. Buster has barely gotten up since being put in there Sunday night. She is taking good care of the chicks, but is sitting the whole time, even to poop. The chicks are running around, pecking and scratching, and come back to mama to get warm. She makes clucky noises, lifts up to let them under, and I know her legs are ok, because I saw her stretching them. So is this within normal broody behavior? I expected her to be up and leading them around, exploring and stuff. The cage is small. Maybe I will put them in the bigger ground cage tomorrow if it's warm enough.

Here's where they are for now. She likes the dog kennel.

She will move out of the kennel during the day, but just sits there while the chicks run around.

Just because they're so cute!

Hugs

Back
Top Bottom