Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

clindz, the bunnies are adorable!! You are doing a great job raising them. I raised some pinky field mice when I was a kid. Dad destroyed the nest with the tractor. I was worried they would be too tame to fend for themselves when it was time to let them go. Ha! As soon as it was weaning time, they went crazy WILD! It was like they had never seen me before. Wonder if the buns will do something similar.

I have been planting things out in my chicken yard for years, but the drought makes it tricky. I have some roses in pots that I want to put put there. I've got a loquat tree & pineapple guavas. This spring added 2 pomegranates and a small orange tree, and still want to add several roses that have been in pots way too long. My latest plan, unbeknownst to hubs, is a low pergola that I will cover with grapes, underneath will be an official dust bathing area.

I put in a butterfly bush a few years ago.
But they love their apple tree better.

We got normal amounts of winter rain, so the butterfly bush id going crazy with blossoms this spring.
Nice Pictures!

Did you know that butterfly bushes kill butterfly larvae(can't live off of the plant)?

http://www.rodalesorganiclife.com/wellbeing/butterfly-bush-and-how-attract-butterflies-native-plants

Nice Pictures!

Did you know that butterfly bushes kill butterfly larvae(can't live off of the plant)?

http://www.rodalesorganiclife.com/wellbeing/butterfly-bush-and-how-attract-butterflies-native-plants
I did not know that! Don't care for the plant that much anyway, too leggy and needs way too much water in the summer. A very good excuse to replace it with something better. Maybe a ceanothus. Got to peruse the sunset garden book. Oddly, I have never seen a butterfly feeding off it. Local hummingbirds have claimed it as their territory, so I think they chase them away.

I've been trying to put fruiting plants out there, so the chickens get some snacks! Oooo, we just lost an apricot tree last fall. Replacement tree would work there!

Milkweed and some of the wild stuff that grows in my back meadow, which I'll have to go back to remember their names, brain is shot... attracts the most amazing variety of butterflies, not just Monarchs. I've seen a few small varieties but we're just now getting warm/hot - a week and half ago... we had snow.

they're here, all is wonderful, and I do have a few pics of them with Periwinkle... I'm just home from work and it's a downpour, Wrangler is bummed we can't let the Cluck Cluck's out but it's due to pass over, we'll get out around 4ish and can have a few hours to play! then I'll get pics!

I did not know that! Don't care for the plant that much anyway, too leggy and needs way too much water in the summer. A very good excuse to replace it with something better. Maybe a ceanothus. Got to peruse the sunset garden book. Oddly, I have never seen a butterfly feeding off it. Local hummingbirds have claimed it as their territory, so I think they chase them away.

I've been trying to put fruiting plants out there, so the chickens get some snacks! Oooo, we just lost an apricot tree last fall. Replacement tree would work there!
Your Welcome!

I used the same argument to get rid of a butterfly bush at my place.

I planted an Early Alberta peach tree two years ago. It is doing great and I hope to have some peaches in a year or two!

I have a peach tree out there from previous owners that has peach leaf curl, and we never think to spray it at the right time. Too bad, because it is loaded with small peaches every year that never develop. I suppose if I took out the old tree and put a new peach tree there, it would have the same problem. More research for this too!

Happy first day with Wrangler, cheeka!!!
celebrate.gif

I have a peach tree out there from previous owners that has peach leaf curl, and we never think to spray it at the right time. Too bad, because it is loaded with small peaches every year that never develop. I suppose if I took out the old tree and put a new peach tree there, it would have the same problem. More research for this too!

Happy first day with Wrangler, cheeka!!!
celebrate.gif
Replacing the tree is a good idea! There are peach curl resistant varieties:

http://tallcloverfarm.com/114/peach-trees-peach-leaf-curl-resistant-varieties

and a report on how the trees did in 2009:

http://tallcloverfarm.com/371/peach-tree-report-2009update-on-leaf-curl-resistant-varieties

We have peach too! Last year was the first year so we pulled off all the fruit. This year we left about a half dozen on just to see what happens w bugs and everything.

Thanks for the tip Ron about the butterfly bush. I'll keep them to a minimum but I wanted something that grew big in a short any of time for shade.

Back
Top Bottom