Should I kill a rat snake!!!!

You can relocate it to my house if you want. I love having them around. I catch them all the time from my side job (I am a licensed nuisance wildlife trapper) and relocate them to my property.

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Quote:
Do you like mice, rats, roaches and poison better, though? (my personal phobia is roaches- can't even look at a pic)

Poisonous snakes die fast here, but we have carefully weighed the benefits and educated ourselves- non-venomous snakes live, because they are of great benefit.

I just can't stand snakes, I can stand bugs and spiders, but snakes...that is a whole different matter!
hide.gif
sickbyc.gif

My family will not kill gardner snakes, or any other such snake..but rattle snakes DOS! ( Die On Sight ).

~Aspen​

I don't like snakes either but I normally move them back down to the water mostly I see them when we have a storm here they do not eat as many rats and mice as they do baby birds and eggs here we have lots of rats and mice here mostly down at the water a lot of what they eat kina depends on the specie of snake

First guy lived. I don't mind sharing eggs if they eat mice and rats. We relocated him to the other side of the yard. Six months or so later the second one (might have been the same guy) ate newborn chicks. He had to die. A week later there was another one in the nesting boxes. He died, too (still angry from the first one eating my babies).

31698_p1000451.jpg

31698_p1010435.jpg

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Quote:
Do you like mice, rats, roaches and poison better, though? (my personal phobia is roaches- can't even look at a pic)

Poisonous snakes die fast here, but we have carefully weighed the benefits and educated ourselves- non-venomous snakes live, because they are of great benefit.

I just can't stand snakes, I can stand bugs and spiders, but snakes...that is a whole different matter!
hide.gif
sickbyc.gif

My family will not kill gardner snakes, or any other such snake..but rattle snakes DOS! ( Die On Sight ).

~Aspen​

You do realize that the OP is talking about a rat snake, not a rattle snake, right? BIG difference!
wink.png

I like snakes around too for the rodent control. The Mother Hen usually protects chicks from snakes. Since I've had Guineas around, they have pretty much chased off any of the smaller snakes (Ate them?), however I will occasionally still see a larger black snake now and then. I haven't had any egg eating snakes lately, my grandmother had a sure-fire method of dealing with just the egg-eating snakes----------she would blow out an egg and fill it with salt and leave it in the nest. Any snake eating the egg would die.

After seeing a few films of mice overrunning farms in Australia, I don't like to hear of any nonpoisonous snake being killed -- not so sure about the poisonous ones, for that matter. There aren't many predators I relocate -- but rat snakes is definitely one.

I actually try to move them closer to the house, the chickens and mine. About a week ago one took out a nest of starlings. I hate those birds. And have noticed very little rodent activity, my house or chickens. And we are surrounded by fields and woods. I have yet to see them get a chick, the black rats seem shyer.

Back
Top Bottom