Should I kill a rat snake!!!!

cecilia1959

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 15, 2010
I just found a rat snake in my hen house. I did not kill it because I want him to eat the rats but my mom said it will eat my eggs and baby chicks. What you everyone do...Let it go or Kill it.

Being a reptile enthusiast, I would say relocate it! I had a mink kill all of my wonderful hens and I swore I was going to kill it when I captured it... I couldn't. It was just doing as nature intended. I relocated him many miles away... and did a bit of rethinking predator proofing!

Good Luck to you!

Collect eggs often, protect your chicks with hardware cloth. I'll take out a venomous snake right away, but rat snakes are GOOD snakes. They keep the mice, rats and roaches out of your feed.

We relocate a dozen or so every year, but there are always more. Grateful to have them overall, just don't need quite as many as we have here on the coast.
smile.png

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Personally, I would kill it. I hate all snakes.
smile.png

~Aspen

Do you like mice, rats, roaches and poison better, though? (my personal phobia is roaches- can't even look at a pic)

Poisonous snakes die fast here, but we have carefully weighed the benefits and educated ourselves- non-venomous snakes live, because they are of great benefit.​

Quote:
Do you like mice, rats, roaches and poison better, though? (my personal phobia is roaches- can't even look at a pic)

Poisonous snakes die fast here, but we have carefully weighed the benefits and educated ourselves- non-venomous snakes live, because they are of great benefit.

I just can't stand snakes, I can stand bugs and spiders, but snakes...that is a whole different matter!
hide.gif
sickbyc.gif

My family will not kill gardner snakes, or any other such snake..but rattle snakes DOS! ( Die On Sight ).

~Aspen

Back
Top Bottom