Should I Know This Stuff?

Am I Just Clueless About This

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MiaGraceDuckMom

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2018
Ok......So I have two 4-5 week old ducklings and I am 13 years old. There are words people use on this site when talking about duck/chickens. Such as Frizzle, Coop (talking about neck)......
Anyway, are there things I need to know that I don't know or do you have any helpful hints? Also, what is a frizzle and why shouldn't you breed a frizzle with another frizzle?

A fizzle is a really fluffy chicken, don't worry I didn't know about it until I saw a picture. With the 'coop (talking about the neck)' are you talking about the cape? The cape is the base of neck feathers, but that is chickens. I don't have ducks and it might be different.

Hello! I'm wondering whether you mean 'crop', which is the pouch in the throat where the first part of digestion takes place. That's what grit is for, to help with that. I know zip about ducks though. :)

A frizzle is a chicken that has curly feathers. The feathers are fragile, something isn’t quite right with them. You should not breed 2 frizzles because it can cause some genetic abnormality where the feathers break.

A frizzle is a chicken that has curly feathers. The feathers are fragile, something isn’t quite right with them. You should not breed 2 frizzles because it can cause some genetic abnormality where the feathers break.
Thank You (Is That a Chicken Thing)

Hello,
You should read chickens for dummy’s , I really enjoyed it and after I read it on my phone I bought the book to keep . Lots of your answers are in there, because yes , you need to know these things if you’re raising chickens , you are their mom ❤️

Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens is a good guide to raising poultry, I found it very complete.

Don't worry about not knowing something and needing to ask questions - that's what this forum is for! Even the smartest person here doesn't know everything. You'll learn a lot by asking questions and joining in chats.

Ok......So I have two 4-5 week old ducklings and I am 13 years old. There are words people use on this site when talking about duck/chickens. Such as Frizzle, Coop (talking about neck)......
Anyway, are there things I need to know that I don't know or do you have any helpful hints? Also, what is a frizzle and why shouldn't you breed a frizzle with another frizzle?
Firstly, welcome! You're going to have so much fun with your duck babies! Great job getting on here to find information about them -- you will learn a lot. Secondly, no, you're not clueless -- you're 13! There's people on here 5 times your age, and they probably know less than you, so no worries! You're here now, and you're gonna learn fast, and will be a great duck mom!

I'm a chicken mom, so I can't help you too much with ducklings, but here are my tips:

Get started on a SAFE enclosure for your ducks right now. They grow really fast. They will need protection outside from predators, and the elements (in fall and winter).

Clean and fill the water drinker multiple times a day. Have more than one drinker. My chicks always dumped one over, or mucked it up with food. They need fresh water. A lot of it.

Find a Duck book, and the Duck forums on here -- I'm sure someone will chime in and point you in the right direction. Start reading!

Enjoy yourself, and again, welcome!

Back
Top Bottom