should I Look into this coop

You did good! I will get one similar as an addition, bit I like the overEazy. Those girls wintered over in it and I felt good they were dry and safe. They also have been able to use it in this awful heat.
I think it looks pretty good for a prefab. If they don't need to spend a lot of time in it, I think it be ok. Just seems pricey for what it is.

I think it looks pretty good for a prefab. If they don't need to spend a lot of time in it, I think it be ok. Just seems pricey for what it is.
I spent so much money on the tiny prefabs, extra nesting box and runs. I could have gotten three of these sheds you posted! Super nice and no kneeling on the ground for this old gal.

Absolutely, @Idaho Chicken Bungalow!

First of all, this coop is SOLID! A couple of years ago, a derecho dropped more than half of a mature tree on top of this coop. The only damage was a bit of bent roofing; the coop was fine.

There are two roosts so everybody has plenty of space and can choose the level that makes her more comfortable. Because of the roost design, I've been able to purchase a small tarp, attach hooks near the ceiling behind the top roost and hooks in front of the bottom roost to create a poop "hammock" that can be easily unhooked and dumped into the compost pile.

The outside nest boxes make egg collecting easy and, like the full-sized door and the pop door, the boxes have secure fasteners to keep out predators.

The raised height makes it easier to clean than my ground-level coops; I added some removable nesting pads that can be shaken and hosed off.

Not that the EZ is perfect, and I would never have been able to make myself pay full price for one. I snagged mine off Craigslist from someone whose husband built a much bigger coop for their flock. The asking price was only $800 ($600 if I was willing to clean it myself -- which I was going to do anyway).

At the time, the asking price still seemed pricey to me; last year, materials alone for a new coop of similar size cost $800. And, I had to get a friend with construction experience to help me build it.

Of course, the company overestimates the number of birds that can successfully live in their coop. I don't think I would ever put more than six full-sized chickens in mine, even though I have an attached (homemade) run and let everyone loose to forage during the day. In summer, they would be fine; in snowy winters when they don't want to venture out, I think it would be crowded with more girls.

The nest boxes add significant weight to one side of the coop so that when the tree hit it, the coop tipped over. However, it came to rest on an adjacent (homemade) coop, and I was able to right it by myself. I added some concrete stepping stones under the roosts to balance out the weight, although other BYC members have suggested I should have anchored it to the ground. Mine was also probably destabilized because there were some bricks under the wooden base frame to keep the wood from rotting -- back when it used to rain before the long-term drought.

Ventilation could be improved, although my girls made it through the first winter without problems. If I were more skilled, I would put in larger vents; I just bent my open a bit more. And, I fashioned a milk-jug plastic deflector for one of the windows so I can keep it half-open; it allows air in without having a breeze hit directly on the girls.

Also, I wish the windows opened from the top, not the bottom -- maybe just personal preference.

The previous owners had screwed wire grates -- likely old refrigerator shelving -- over the screened windows to keep out predators. Having lost birds to minks, I added a second layer of protection with hardware cloth fastened over the grates.

Overall, I would recommend this coop. The modifications I have added were minimal, and I have no concerns about my chickens' safety when they are inside. None of them were injured when the coop tipped, and no predator is going to get into the EZ. It looks good, it's held up well for more than four years for me. I don't know how long the previous owner had it.

Hope this helps you with your decision!

Last edited:
I can't find it anymore, but here's the one we got for my goats. It's already gone up since we got it. We didn't put a floor under it because it's for the goaties, and we got leftover shingles from a local roofer.
View attachment 3230213

The chicken's shed I can't find. It didn't have a floor, either, but we just got 2 sheets of OSB and some 2x4s. It is like this, but at HD and much cheaper.
View attachment 3230216

I found this one, though. No floor, but comes with a roof, and nicely illustrates the idea that you can find bigger, better, and cheaper.
View attachment 3230215

I built my first coop out of recycled fence boards and t111 siding I got off Craigslist for $10 a sheet. It was 4x8 with a wood floor and a metal roof. I spent $250. The majority of that cost was the roof because I special-ordered the color.

And don't forget about hoop coops! Super inexpensive and easy to build.
i will think about it
You did good! I will get one similar as an addition, bit I like the overEazy. Those girls wintered over in it and I felt good they were dry and safe. They also have been able to use it in this awful heat.
would you recommend this to someone?
There are two roosts so everybody has plenty of space and can choose the level that makes her more comfortable. Because of the roost design, I've been able to purchase a small tarp, attach hooks near the ceiling behind the top roost and hooks in front of the bottom roost to create a poop "hammock" that can be easily unhooked and dumped into the compost pile.
if i get this can you tell me how?
I don't think I would ever put more than six full-sized chickens in mine, even though
im putting 7ish bantams and never more than 10 if absolutely necessary
Overall, I would recommend this coop. The modifications I have added were minimal, and I have no concerns about my chickens' safety when they are inside. None of them were injured when the coop tipped, and no predator is going to get into the EZ. It looks good, it's held up well for more than four years for me. I don't know how long the previous owner had it.

Hope this helps you with your decision!
Does rain get in where the nesting box connects to the coop ?

The Over EZ maker is The Shed Yard, which has a website; my local farm/feed store also sells EZ's, with free assembly. However, I think Bomgaars is only a regional chain.

Rain doesn't get into the nest boxes. They open with back hinges, which are underneath the roof overhang, and the nest box lid has a lip that overhangs the front of the boxes. The roof overhang also means I can leave the window open unless there is a full-fledged downpour.

I would totally be okay with seven Bantams in it; I figure each Bantam at half a full-sized chicken. There is, in my opinion (not an expert in ANYTHING) there is enough floor, roost and nest space for that many.

The Over EZ maker is The Shed Yard, which has a website; my local farm/feed store also sells EZ's, with free assembly. However, I think Bomgaars is only a regional chain.

Rain doesn't get into the nest boxes. They open with back hinges, which are underneath the roof overhang, and the nest box lid has a lip that overhangs the front of the boxes. The roof overhang also means I can leave the window open unless there is a full-fledged downpour.

I would totally be okay with seven Bantams in it; I figure each Bantam at half a full-sized chicken. There is, in my opinion (not an expert in ANYTHING) there is enough floor, roost and nest space for that many.
Thanks for all your help
okay good i dont want water coming in my coop :)
okay that sounds nice
imma go check out you store page Edit: never mind i cant find it

Back
Top Bottom