should I pull this scab off?

You've been soaking and bandaging for long enough, the top layer of the core should be pliable. If she were mine, using a scalpel and a pair tweezers I would try to get as much of the "gunk" out of the core. Since the core is so big, eventually you will hit blood, in which case, apply firm pressure with a towel until clotting occurs. You can try to keep digging further, or wait a few more days for the blood to recede more and retry.

In an ideal world, you'll then have excavated the whole core out of the footpad, to the point where you can fill the whole with an antibacterial ointment and bandage. The progression of the Bumblefoot is pretty far along, do you have any antibiotics or NSAID's on hand?

Hi Isaac,
Thanks for your input. That's exactly what I did today. I got most of the outer scab off and tried to pull something whitish out from underneath. It did bleed quite a bit. I dabbed with clear iodine and packed with triple antibiotic ointment and wrapped it. I know it looks like it's so far along, but it's really developed so quickly! I've been keeping tabs on it for the last month - after I noticed the first little scab I used prid for a few days and it came off and looked like it was going to be okay, but then started growing again. I haven't been neglecting her at all, just was hoping that the soaking and bandaging would keep it at bay. I guess I was wrong there. It was complicated by a couple weekends where we had to be out of town and I didn't want to go digging and create a wound, knowing I was going to have to leave her unbandaged or in a dirty bandage for a few days. Ugh, hate the cursed bumble. Thanks for your support! I was planning on leaving the foot bandaged for 24 hours before changing, what do you think?

What are Nsaids? I only have some Terbinafine Hydrichloride (7 doses) as well as some sulfamethox. I don't think they're apporpriate for bumblefoot - I think I asked my vet last time I had a duck with bumble. I'm not bringing this one in to the vet. The only time I've brought a duck in for bumble her infection grew systemic and I had to put her down. It seems like the vet doesn't do much better than I do. But maybe I should order some fish antibiotics?

Most avian vets seem to agree on changing Bumblefoot bandages, anywhere from 24 to 72 hours, depending on the severity of the bumble. Do you have any pictures of her foot now that you have removed some of the core?

Just a suggestion, to reduce some of the swelling, you can get what's called "DMSO Gel, or Dimethyl sulfoxide), and apply a generous coating under the bandage. I use it quite frequently around the farm here, and have had great success with it.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/valhoma-dmso-99-pure-gel-formula-1-lb

What are Nsaids? I only have some Terbinafine Hydrichloride (7 doses) as well as some sulfamethox. I don't think they're apporpriate for bumblefoot - I think I asked my vet last time I had a duck with bumble. I'm not bringing this one in to the vet. The only time I've brought a duck in for bumble her infection grew systemic and I had to put her down. It seems like the vet doesn't do much better than I do. But maybe I should order some fish antibiotics?

An NSAID is a Non-steroidal- anti-inflammatory drug. The medications you have are not NSAID's. If you have any Meloxicam, Carprofen, or ketoprofen. That can be used. I might be inclined to her start her on antibiotics once the core is out. You could get something like Enrofloxacin, Ciprofloxacin, or Cephalexin for this.

https://allbirdproducts.com/products/enrofloxacin-10
https://www.chewy.com/fish-aid-antibiotics-cephalexin/dp/185208
https://www.chewy.com/fish-aid-antibiotics-ciprofloxacin/dp/185215

I have some extra Nsaids I can give you. You'll have to give it to her orally with a syringe, though. I will give you extra syringes, too. It is a liquid once a day medication for inflammation and pain. I also have some soft duck boots you can borrow to help while she heals if you are interested. I'm off work at 3:30 today.

I have some extra Nsaids I can give you. You'll have to give it to her orally with a syringe, though. I will give you extra syringes, too. It is a liquid once a day medication for inflammation and pain. I also have some soft duck boots you can borrow to help while she heals if you are interested. I'm off work at 3:30 today.

Is that Meloxicam?

@KaleIAm Thanks Kale - so generous! Sorry, I'm just seeing your message now. I'll pull the bandage off this afternoon and take a look and a photo before I put a new one on. I'll order the fish antibiotics just in case but if it seems bad maybe I'll take you up on your offer of meds. I also have a neoprene booty but I ordered a size too large and she was tripping on it. The bandage I placed seemed to stay pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom