• Only at night (75 watt)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only at night (60 watt)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Cayden05

In the Brooder
May 23, 2020
So I might be getting chicks soon and I live in Texas and right now it is 90 degrees fahrenheit during the day and about 60-70 degrees fahrenheit. Would they need a heat lamp since it's already hot out. And since it's even warmer inside the house then outside? I'm getting around 10 buff orpington pullets so wouldn't they just huddle together? Or is it to cold at night? I don't want to put my 250 watt red heat lamp in there and then for it to be to hot. And then they would overheat and die.

So I might be getting chicks soon and I live in Texas and right now it is 90 degrees fahrenheit during the day and about 60-70 degrees fahrenheit. Would they need a heat lamp since it's already hot out. And since it's even warmer inside the house then outside? I'm getting around 10 buff orpington pullets so wouldn't they just huddle together? Or is it to cold at night? I don't want to put my 250 watt red heat lamp in there and then for it to be to hot. And then they would overheat and die.
Where are you keeping them? You need a heat lamp, especially at night.

Where are you keeping them? You need a heat lamp, especially at night.
In an outdoor brooder. I have a 250 watt heat lamp but I don't know if that is too strong for them. I've brooded chicks before, but i've done in a rubbermaid container. I have never done it in a outdoor brooder.

In an outdoor brooder. I have a 250 watt heat lamp but I don't know if that is too strong for them. I've brooded chicks before, but i've done in a rubbermaid container. I have never done it in a outdoor brooder.
That's way too hot in your current climate. Make a little cave like a momma heat pad for them. At night, you might use a 75 watt bulb assumed near the opening to prevent a chill. They'd be fine.

That's way too hot in your current climate. Make a little cave like a momma heat pad for them. At night, you might use a 75 watt bulb assumed near the opening to prevent a chill. They'd be fine.
ok thank you so much I appreciate it. This is what the brooder looks like. We have ducks living in there now but they will be moving to a different house
image.jpg

so if the outside temperature at night is around 70 degree and above, do you still need a heat lamp? Can i just put extra bedding to keep the chicks warm?

Back
Top Bottom