Should I raise my large coop?

Jonessa

Songster
5 Years
Apr 20, 2017
Vancouver Island
Hi everyone,

We have just moved, leaving behind a beautiful coop, and are starting over with a new coop. We have snagged a free 8x10 metal shed that we are going to convert into a coop, with an attached covered run. My plan is to divide the shed, half of it for the chickens and half for storage of chicken items.

My big question, as I plan out the details, is whether to raise the coop? Do folks raise coops this size? My old coop, which was 4x8, was raised, which made it a breeze for cleaning - but as this one will be a walk in, that's not really a consideration. A few factors to consider: one, we live on Vancouver Island, where winters are rainy, so rot may be an issue with a coop on the ground; two, there are a lot of predators around this area (rats, mink, racoons, etc); and three, we are renting and hope to buy our own home this summer, so doing something fairly permanent like a concrete pad isn't feasible.

I can see a lot of advantages to raising the coop: dry, easier to predator proof, easier to move later. But when I search for examples of coops this size, they all seem to be on the ground. What am I missing?

If we leave it on the ground, how can I negate the potential problems, particularly predators and rot? I'd love to see pictures and examples of what others have done, raised and on the ground.

Thanks!!

Does it have a floor? My 6x10 coop (walk-in) is raised slightly, with skids that sit on concrete blocks (the chickens don't have access under it) to make sure ground water isn't an issue.

If it doesn't have a floor you could probably build a platform and sit the coop on top of it.

Does it have a floor? My 6x10 coop (walk-in) is raised slightly, with skids that sit on concrete blocks (the chickens don't have access under it) to make sure ground water isn't an issue.

If it doesn't have a floor you could probably build a platform and sit the coop on top of it.
It has a wood floor, although it may need to be redone. We are bringing it home on Saturday, so I will have a better idea then.
Is the space under yours blocked somehow, with wire or something else, to prevent critters from making homes under it? Or is it open to the run, and therefore protected by your run walls?

You could raise it, if you build the frame work to support it.
Just reread tho, if you are moving I'd not bother.

Definitely protect from anything diggin/living under it.
Good examples of anti-dig apron installation:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1110498/wire-around-coop#post_17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208
Thanks, those are great links! We did a similar apron around our old coop, only we buried it as I figured we had to - great to see that the extra work isn't necessary! Perhaps we'll just raise the coop onto skids, just enough to keep it off the wet ground.

Is the space under yours blocked somehow, with wire or something else, to prevent critters from making homes under it? Or is it open to the run, and therefore protected by your run walls?

Yes I have the space under the coop (5-6") blocked with hardware cloth (sort of a reverse "skirt" with the excess tucked under the coop). I'm less concerned about critters as the coop is inside the run, so it was mainly to ensure that chicks don't go underneath and get stuck.

coopnew2.jpg

Yes I have the space under the coop (5-6") blocked with hardware cloth (sort of a reverse "skirt" with the excess tucked under the coop). I'm less concerned about critters as the coop is inside the run, so it was mainly to ensure that chicks don't go underneath and get stuck.

View attachment 1744241

I see! Maybe that's what I'll have to do - just raise it enough to avoid water issues. It will make up one end of the run, if that makes sense, so the outside edges would all be protected with hardware cloth.

Back
Top Bottom