should I try to adopt this dog?

Since you keep thinking about her, go visit to see if she's the right one. I believe that when you feel a pull towards a specific animal, there is something about them that reminds you of your past pets. If you don't feel the pull, it's not time.

I think it's definitely worth at least going and seeing her to see if she feels like the right dog for you. If you really feel a connection and she seems like the right type of dog for you, go for it! She's a lovely dog.
smile.png
Just be sure to take her out for a little bit and see how she does on leash, see if she knows any commands, test her around animals you have, and so on. It's not good to get a dog on impulse, but if you check her out and she just seems like she'll work out in your household, I'd say adopt her!

My shelter dog is my best friend in the whole world. I couldn't ask for a more wonderful dog, and I'm thankful every day that I adopted her. I feel like she was meant to be my dog (and considering the long and lucky story of how I ended up with her, most people agree).

Good luck with your decision! I think if you meet her and spend some time with her, you'll know if she's the right dog for you.

This dog looks nothing like our old dog... doesn't remind me of her at all actually.
The dog that passed was a yellow lab mix. mostly tan with a black face.

It does feel like something is missing. I have always had a dog.... I don't know what it is about this dog that keeps pulling me back.
I emailed an application to the shelter, and got an email from the family that is fostering her...

with this pic
Mollys_pups_4291.jpg

Awwww... how can I resist that face?
love.gif

Shelter is closed right now....

Last edited:
Quote:
When the pull is that strong, I've learned NOT to ignore it. Even in rescue I occasionally get that 'something has to be done here' feeling.
I picked up Kelvin a little over a year ago now from a kill shelter the day he was to be destroyed. Emaciated (20 lbs under). Nasty. Disgusting. Whimpery. Whiny. Smelly. And now... he's one of MINE. I was told by everyone he wasn't worth the effort but the ad pulled at me. I checked in with that ad every few hours. Made calls to see if anyone could pull him. To see if anyone had room. No one cared enough to save an old man, no one had enough room so I drove 104 miles one way with hubby to meet him and bail his butt out of that place. I couldn't ask for a better behaved dog. Still whiny but he's MY whiny butt.

See if you can meet with her. See what she's like. If the connection is still there, go for it.

it is always a good thing to go and at least see the shelter where they are being kept at. you may find someone else that is a better match or you may find the one you wanted to get is not a good match for you.

back in 2002 my family and i went to one of the local shelters in our area because i was told by one of the head people of it that they had lots of small/medium sized dogs that had been recently surrendered and that would probably be a good match for us. we went there and they didn't have many left and didn't find one that 'felt right' for us, but my dad and i walked over to the area that had the community cat room and we fell in love with a pair of sister cats that were just wonderful! one of the girls became mine and when i moved out she came with me. my dh loves her and will cuddle with her any moment she comes crawling over to him for attention. my parents unfortunately lost her sister 2 years ago to kidney issues.

i now have my dog and he is currently sleeping dog style-legs in the air and snoring at my feet! i don't know what i would do without having my pets but i know that not one animal is a replacement for another. every one has a different personality and quirks.

The foster mom called.
We are very much considering this dog- it is in foster care in TN. Apparently the shelter here has a "sister shelter" in TN. They transport dogs up here once a week to a shelter in RI and one in NH.
There aren't many stray/abandoned dogs here... and too many there.
She says she is great dog- good with her kids, and her granddaughter.
She is smart, housetrained, but still chews.. but learns quick what is expected of her. No food aggression.. loves to play fetch. Still pulls on a leash.. but they are working on it.
She won't be ready for adoption for 2-3 weeks but they are taking applications now. They can't spay her till her milk dries, and she just weened her pups.
I'm OK with a wait.
smile.png

Quote:
I'm not saying looks like the past dog, saying that there is something that is calling you to that dog...something that will eventually remind you of your past dogs.

Kittykorat, sounds like a win-win situation so far... unless they won't let you meet & greet through that sister shelter transportation line before agreeing to adopt her. Tread carefully if they insist on your adopting her before you meet her. Just sayin'.

Back
Top Bottom