Should I warn neighbor that dog might get shot?

Pics
So, the dog goes home in pain, and its owner realizes that he/she's been somewhere he/she shouldn't have been, because he/she was running loose in a jurisdiction that forbids it. Lesson learned for both owner AND dog.
You dont teach a dog anything by inflicting pain. You just create an enemy with the neighbour who owns the animal.
We all know its the owner's fault and not the animal, so let's stop speaking as though shooting a dog is an earned punishment.

Talking to the owner could establish the desired result without abusing an animal. So that's the first step people should be making in most situations. I also imagine you'd get in more trouble for injuring someones animal and leaving it to limp home in agony, than for killing it in defence of your own animals.
Anyways, this has all been discussed and discussed and this topic is kinda exhausted by now. Agree to disagree.

, it's just not worth the legal hassle of having to go through the court system and then have an arrest on your record that follows you everywhere.
What legal hassle?
I've never been through the court system or been arrested or have a record. The law is on the side of the livestock owner. The livestock owner only needs to show the dog was activity trying to get to or attacking livestock. Fairly easy to prove.

You dont teach a dog anything by inflicting pain.
You can teach a dog, or any living thing, by inflicting pain, but it's not as humane and often not nearly as effective as some other methods. In this sort of scenario the dog would not learn to leave livestock alone, only perhaps to stay away from the place where it was injured.
What legal hassle?
It does happen! There was a guy on here years back, I can't remember the whole story other than a neighbor's dog came into his yard and he shot and injured it. He ended up being arrested for animal abuse and getting sued for all the veterinary bills.

You can teach a dog, or any living thing, by inflicting pain, but it's not as humane and often not nearly as effective as some other methods. In this sort of scenario the dog would not learn to leave livestock alone, only perhaps to stay away from the place where it was injured.
Pain only teaches fear. It may frighten the animal enough that they wont go near the person again, but it wont teach them effectively or make them leave the birds alone. Its just abusive and there are much better ways to handle the situation imo.

It does happen! There was a guy on here years back, I can't remember the whole story other than a neighbor's dog came into his yard and he shot and injured it. He ended up being arrested for animal abuse and getting sued for all the veterinary bills.
Again.. actively attacking livestock. I didn't say a dog came into my yard..
Law is very clear. There is no grey area. Activity attacking livestock is the key. You can't see a dog attacking one day, then shoot it another if it's just walking around your yard.
And I don't recommend calling the sheriff or troopers first. First call goes to DEC. It's there territory. They know those laws best and how to investigate and confirm you were within the law.

We live in an area where people have a couple acres, but if they love their dogs they don't let them run. Since we have a lot of wild life (foot hills of the Cascades) We carry bear spray. When out on a walk with our dog, a lady who would let her pit bull run came running up and tried to fight our dog, we gave the pitbull a squirt of pepper spray, it ran off. The next time he saw us he barked but from a distance, and if we ever saw that dog again with our dog, it would defer to our dog, thinking he was the one who sprayed him.

You don't have to be in the country to have a loose dog problem, when we lived in the city, in the morning, instead of walking their dogs the people just let them outside, they would form packs, and once I had to walk to the bus and a group of dogs considered jumping me, I yelled at them and walked with purpose, they left me alone but it was still scary. I think they wanted me to run so they could chase me.

Now the only dog thing we have in our area is people from Seattle visiting our area and leaving bags of dog poop on the trails, as if we have some worker person assigned to collect bags of pooh. We don't.

Pain only teaches fear. It may frighten the animal enough that they wont go near the person again, but it wont teach them effectively or make them leave the birds alone. Its just abusive and there are much better ways to handle the situation imo.
I agree, there is most often much better ways to handle the situation. I don't believe in using physical force or pain to train any animals in any way. But you can't deny that pain can teach a lesson, if you touch a hot stove and get burnt, you learn not to touch hot stoves.

Again.. actively attacking livestock. I didn't say a dog came into my yard..
Law is very clear. There is no grey area. Activity attacking livestock is the key. You can't see a dog attacking one day, then shoot it another if it's just walking around your yard.
And I don't recommend calling the sheriff or troopers first. First call goes to DEC. It's there territory. They know those laws best and how to investigate and confirm you were within the law.
If I remember correctly the dog was chasing them, but hadn't gotten ahold of a chicken yet. I'll have to see if I can find that thread, doubtful, but I'll try.

Back
Top Bottom