Show Chickens

watsonlane

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 9, 2010
Well heres my question....We bought chickens from an auction so we have no clue what breed they are but i think most are barron rocks. How do you begin to show them at the fair and places? I have no idea where to start on that but i'm thinking my daughter might would enjoy it......any suggestions are great! Thanks!

Do you mean barred rocks?

Chances are very slim that the birds you purchased at an auction are appropriate for exhibition. That would be like purchasing a dog from the pound and then deciding to show it.

In the What Breed or Gender section you can post photos and get some pretty good guesses on your birds.

For exhibition, my suggestion is to find a breeder and purchase young or older birds for your daughter to show. You also might want to go to a show to see what it's like and look at a wide assortment of breeds and varieties beforehand.

Great suggestions! Thank you! I'll get photos of each and post!
big_smile.png

I would also check with your local extension service and see if you can get hooked up with a 4-H club that shows chickens, or with an FFA group. Not only will your daughter learn about taking care of and showing chickens, but they are both great organizations for helping kids learn record keeping and public speaking.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom