Show me your BROODY COOPS! (please!)

Rare Feathers Farm

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
Pleasant Valley, (Okanogan) WA
My Coop
My Coop
So I have my first VERY stubborn broody cochin! Beatrice has been sitting since last Friday and I've so far taken away her eggs & replaced them with one BBS orp egg, two mille cochin eggs and last Saturday, I moved her (nest box & all) to the other side of the coop & did a deep cleaning. She was unphased! Unforunately, I'll have to take the eggs away before they hatch because she's in with everyone else and tiny, bantam chicks will not survive long in below freezing temps OR with 15 other birds!

So I'm hoping she'll want to sit again in the future but I'd like her to have the experience of "motherhood," if possible...so I've been looking on google for some broody coops and haven't found much.

Where do your hens sit & hatch? Are they separated from everyone else? Most of the pens I found are about 3' x 3' with 3' w x 6'L runs...and sit directly on the ground....

Mine is a pen inside another coop. Works great. Has a solid roof on it so Zane's kennel sits on top.
DCP_6961.jpg

DCP_6691.jpg

Pretty! Unfortunately, my coop is already maxed out...I'll be dividing into four sections this summer for four large breeds, then I'll be constructing my bantam coop for three or four breeds and lastly, maybe one more coop for another large breed. Oh and I need three or four waterfowl pens, too. LOL

I was thinking about building my broody coop near the house (electricity/running water & survelliance) will be all right here! LOL

I took one of my horse stalls and turned it into a broody/chick pen. I'm housing other birds in it right now but it is divided into 2 pens that join. I use the back of the stall for the setting hens to sit and brood all day in their nests. The pen is 7x10 ft. The front part is the same size and is for the hatched chicks and hens to go for a few days after the hatching. Obviously this won't work for lots of hens but I am always building more pens and adding on so who knows what will turn up.
I wish I had some photos to share but that is one pen I haven't gotten photos of.

he.gif
Sounds interesting! We have three stalls and four horses, LOL So I cannot use that option, either! I'm leaning towards a small ark=like coop (tractor-style) that I could put in the back yard. I'm hoping within the next year or two we build a garage or shop.

MMUUUHHHAAA! *evil laugh & wringing my hands* Hubby only THINKS that it would be for him....HA! Little does he know it will house broodies & be a construction zone for MORE COOPS during the winter months!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom