Show me your chick brooder

My brooder is a cardboard moving dress box from Uhaul- sometimes I add an extra box onto the end, depends on the # of chicks.. I like the Mama cave heating method, it works for me. One year, I had chicks in the regular brooder with the red light above it and chicks in another room in the Mama Cave. The Mama Cave chicks seemed calmer, less stressed and also grew faster than the others.- Just my observation. When the chicks get about 2 weeks old, I put a dowel roost at the end of the box. When they get about 4 weeks old, I replace the cave with another roost. I put netting on top to keep them in the box
Brooder b.jpg
Brooder d.jpg

Last edited:
First, a photo of my brooder, it's built into the coop.

Brooder.JPG

My idea of the perfect brooder is one that has lots of room and is pretty easy to keep dry. A dry brooder is a healthy brooder. A wet brooder is dangerous.

It needs one area that is warm enough in the coolest conditions and cool enough in the warmest conditions. I find that chicks straight out of the incubator or from the post office can manage being in the right temperatures by themselves if they have the option. If you are brooding in a climate controlled area like in your house that is usually pretty easy to do. If you brood outside where you can get wild temperature swings that can be more challenging.

What you need in a brooder is food, water, protection from predators, protection from the environment, and room to grow. Food and water is pretty self-explanatory. Predators can be wild animals but can also include your pets or even kids. Environment means heat, cold, wind, and wet. There are a lot of ways to provide that warm spot, having room and some ventilation can give a cool spot.

So, this is the setup... the feeders will change as they grow and the light will be raised as well. I use a black ceramic 100w bulb setup just like the photos. This produces ~97 degrees at the bottom, in a house set a 70*. Enjoy 😉
F92A8206-863A-4AE6-A700-EABFD2D84675.jpeg
A655AC74-59B7-4895-AA01-DFBD7919FBEF.jpeg
CD899EE8-DC08-4EF7-9C9F-1F5F0F27F2AD.jpeg
72F01258-D4C3-466A-8B34-3CC4F606984A.jpeg

So, this is the setup... the feeders will change as they grow and the light will be raised as well. I use a black ceramic 100w bulb setup just like the photos. This produces ~97 degrees at the bottom, in a house set a 70*. Enjoy 😉 View attachment 2502538View attachment 2502540View attachment 2502543View attachment 2502546
I use pine pellets for bedding and just layer it for a month or longer, then replace it altogether and start over. I use ostrich feather duster for a safe spot. Fresh food and water daily. Easy ... other than lots of dusting the house the last few weeks before they go outside w/heat.
D645027C-8C6C-482C-813B-515BDA7D5275.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom