Show Me Your Mix Breeds!!! (Alot of pictures)

My Polish x Orpingtons (I had to rehome the rooster which makes me so sad).
AE46945B-A151-47C2-9FB0-F9387CC0CAF0.jpeg
F6DEF0EB-ECC0-4CB6-B376-F78FE2370546.jpeg

Oh, many, many, breeds, first of all, our roosters are mixes, all except a bantam, but he is separate from them and has always been, but main breeds are, old red sex links, Olive Eggers, a couple of different blue egger breeds, a couple old BO's, a GLW, and many mixes.
Well, we have some eggs under a broody right now, but we would like to breed a buff Brahma hen to a possible Black copper Maran rooster, but we bought him as an olive egger, so...
A lot of the red and white chicks are probably coming from the red sex links. RSLs have a gene called dominant white, which is responsible for the white feathers on their necks. Dominant white replaces almost all black feathers with white feathers. I believe RSLs only have one copy of the gene, so half of their chicks should get black feathers, unless bred to a rooster that also has dominant white (white leghorn, buff laced polish, some colors of EE, etc). White chickens with some black feathers on their tails or necks have a different gene called silver.
Buff brahma x marans should give you black chicks with some red leakage, though you might even get almost entirely red chicks.
If you like solidly colored black/blue chickens with some leakage, breeding mostly from the Olive eggers and marans will give you that. If you want chicks that are red and black, try breeding the GLW with any mostly red chicken. Crossing the BOs with any chickens that are black or almost entirely black will get you chicks that are about half buff and half black.

A lot of the red and white chicks are probably coming from the red sex links. RSLs have a gene called dominant white, which is responsible for the white feathers on their necks. Dominant white replaces almost all black feathers with white feathers. I believe RSLs only have one copy of the gene, so half of their chicks should get black feathers, unless bred to a rooster that also has dominant white (white leghorn, buff laced polish, some colors of EE, etc). White chickens with some black feathers on their tails or necks have a different gene called silver.
Buff brahma x marans should give you black chicks with some red leakage, though you might even get almost entirely red chicks.
If you like solidly colored black/blue chickens with some leakage, breeding mostly from the Olive eggers and marans will give you that. If you want chicks that are red and black, try breeding the GLW with any mostly red chicken. Crossing the BOs with any chickens that are black or almost entirely black will get you chicks that are about half buff and half black.
:eek: You are wonderful, thank you so, so, much, I really appreciate it!
That is so interesting about the genes, this will definitely come in handy, thanks! Oh, and if I were to post a picture of the possible BCM rooster, could you identify it?

Great thread!
This is 2 NHR x Salmon faverolle roosters, and an Ameraucana x Cochin hen.
I’ve had some really interesting crosses in the past, I’ll try and find pics!

Attachments

• 0BF2A8EA-5B81-4008-9C50-2B60EDFF6A5D.png
    0BF2A8EA-5B81-4008-9C50-2B60EDFF6A5D.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom